[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The VintAxe Guitar Forum • View topic - Vox Clubman Bass scratchplate

The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

Vox Clubman Bass scratchplate

This is to place to post messages concerning guitars and gear you would like to buy

Moderators: cheepaxes, VintAxe, Phizix

by Mgeek » Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:20 am

I picked up a blue Vox Clubman/bassmaster bass on Ebay a while back from a bloke who had two in varying states of repair. He was a bit slow- and basically I ended up with the body and neck from a '66, and the scratchplate assembly from a much earlier one.

The difference being- what should be on my PASTEL BLUE bass is a white/black/white plate with holes for two volumes, a tone and an output jack, and what I've got is a single ply BLACK plate with no hole for an output jack

Anyone able to help me out?

Here's a pic of what I'm after- but with an additional hole in the middle of the knobs...for the output socket

Mgeek

by farfisa68 » Sat May 01, 2010 7:28 am

Hi, I've just got tound to resuming a rebuild of the old Clubman 2 bass that I've had since the early 70's.
Anyway, probably too late for you now but I've got a couple of pictures of the black single ply scratchplate with the extra hole for the jack socket. I think the jack socket was NOT out there by the factory but I may be wrong. The hole is rough compared with the control pot holes, there's a scratch where the drill bit has slid at the first attempt and there is a little square chiselled out of the controls rout to let the jack plug socket fit (this had eventually collapsed and was one of the reasons for starting a restoration many moons ago). There is also a hole from the control cavity to the bottom edge of the body that had been dowelled up long before I got the bass, I think it had been painted over so maybe it was a factory bodge at some point. The hole is/was very narrow diameter. If I can work out how to upload the pictures I will do so.
farfisa68

by Mgeek » Sat May 01, 2010 9:55 am

Thanks for getting in touch- but I've already got the black single ply scratchplate!

Actually- since posting this I bought another Clubman (fifty five quid on ebay) which I've used for parts...- still need a white/black/white scratchplate though!- because now I've got a naked body and neck hanging round!
Mgeek

by farfisa68 » Sat May 01, 2010 11:24 am

Glad you're sorted. I'm painting mine metallic blue and did have a sheet of 3 ply scratchplate (W B W) from which I was going to try and make a replacement scratch plate - but in the long period since I stripped the bass it has gone AWOL. If I do manage to make one I'll let you know how I got on. Also in the period of refurb the neck got dropped from it's storage place, you wouldn't believe how far individual frets can fly in such circumstances :o) , I've got new frets for it anyway as the old ones were unbelievably worn. This is a labour of love as the bass is prob worth not a lot. Hope you get sorted for your other one. There was a music shop on the South coast had a few Clubmans that had been dismantled a few years back, if I can find there details I'll pass on to you. Good luck and enjoy - for plywood bodied basses they do have a certain sound to them.
farfisa68

by Mgeek » Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:18 am

I ended up punting on the spare body and neck on Ebay. They were in stupidly clean condition, which made me feel a bit bad about parting it out- but hopefully they went to new homes.

Now I've got me an all original pastel blue bass that plays great- and because I turned a bit of a profit on the spare bits has ended up costing about fifty quid in total, which I'm pretty pleased about.

I know they aren't very highly rated basses, but I'm pretty darned pleased with mine. Don't see myself buying another one anytime soon
Mgeek

Return to Guitars and Gear Wanted

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts