[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The VintAxe Guitar Forum • View topic - I have a Kay electric guitar can anyone help with some info

The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

I have a Kay electric guitar can anyone help with some info

Posts related to vintage guitars made in America or guitars produced by historically American companies

Moderators: cheepaxes, VintAxe, Phizix

by stuart whitta » Sat May 24, 2008 12:09 pm

Hi All,

I have a Kay electric guitar that is quite old it has been sitting in a rotting trailor for years until i rescued it.

It is not in great shape but is all still together. it has a thin body and has a blond finish,there are two long scratch plates,1 bellow the pick ups and 1 above they are like a rusty/orange color. these are offset from each other, top one being further up the body than the lower.

This guitar has three covered pick ups and six knobs below the bridge 3 volume and 3 tone ( 3 have the letter V on them and 3 have the letter T). on the other side of the bridge (above) there is a slightly bigger white knob.

The head stock has the word Kay in big scroll across it, i thought it might be a thin twin but it has three pick ups on it. the guitar it's self is quite light.

Unfortunally there is no model number on it or any other info other than the word Kay. it needs some serious attention to repair it. it's a shame that it was left like that for so long but thankfully it was in a case,allthough it was an acoustic guitar case it has still stopped it rotting completly.

As soon a i can i'll get some pics uploaded of it so you all can see it.

Please can anyone help with this i have looked everywhere for info and have seen lots of Kay guitars but never this one.

Thanks.
stuart whitta

by hansmoust » Sat May 24, 2008 4:54 pm

hansmoust

by stuart whitta » Sun May 25, 2008 7:21 am

stuart whitta

by cheepaxes » Wed May 28, 2008 2:52 pm

cheepaxes

by stuart whitta » Wed May 28, 2008 8:29 pm

stuart whitta

by stuart whitta » Thu May 29, 2008 11:14 am

OK HERE IS THE PIC

Image[/img]

[/img]
stuart whitta

by VintAxe » Thu May 29, 2008 2:40 pm

Hey stuart,

It looks to me like Hans has correctly identified the model of your guitar.

As far as "worth restoring", I don't see much obviously wrong with the instrument from the photo. Can you describe the damage?

In terms of value, these Kay Thinlines from the early 60's are later day cousin's of the Kay-161 played by Bluesman Jimmy Reed and benefit from this association. I've even seen people advertising these 60's thinlines as "Jimmy Reed" models to boost their value.

Here is a picture of Jimmy playing the Thin Twin that is the actual "Jimmy Reed" guitar.

The Kay Thinlines are not listed in my Price Guides, so I checked the Bay for any that may have sold recently. This Custom Kraft was the closest guitar I could find to your instrument. I'm not sure you could get $600 for yours but the values on these Kay Thinlines have been creeping up over the past few years.

VintAxe
Site Admin

by Bob K » Fri May 30, 2008 10:00 am

Bob K

by stuart whitta » Fri May 30, 2008 11:12 am

stuart whitta

by Bob K » Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:02 am

Bob K

by Bob K » Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:04 am

Bob K

Return to Vintage American Electric Guitars

• View new posts