[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The VintAxe Guitar Forum • View topic - Fender Performer

The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

Fender Performer

Posts related to vintage guitars made in America or guitars produced by historically American companies

Moderators: cheepaxes, VintAxe, Phizix

by sublemon » Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:02 pm

Hi, I assume some of you all are familiar with the 1980s Fender Performer (they are fantastic guitars). I just saw one sell on ebay for $2500+ - is this normal?? I paid less than 25% of that fiarly recently for one...
sublemon

by sublemon » Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:13 pm

it was made in japan after all...
sublemon

by Spud1950 » Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:46 pm

Here's one that sold on the Italian eBay site for the equivalent of $540 US. Is this the one you bought?

Spud1950

by sublemon » Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:49 pm

Guitar was actually in Georgia though...
sublemon

by VintAxe » Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:47 pm

That price for a Performer looks a bit crazy to me. The Blue Book values a Performer in Excellent plus condition at $1,000. I know Price Guide values can lag current selling prices if a guitar gets hot and demand goes up but not by $1,500.

Sounds like you got a reasonable deal on yours sublemon.
VintAxe
Site Admin

by sublemon » Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:56 am

yes, they are really nice playing guitars, not $2500 though...

for the record I did not buy the other one mentioned on the thread, I think I got it from a seller on gbase.com a while back.'

There is another one on ebay for $1300 now, which is still more that one should pay for these IMO, although I am not sad if they go up in value of course...
sublemon

by gtrjunkie » Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:38 pm

I see that I am famous....HA HA. I'm the guy that won that fender performer on ebay in the previous post. Very nice guitar. Worth more than I paid for it IMO. :D $580 with shipping.
The other guitar mentioned that sold for crazy money did because it was one that hung in the fender offices and had some sort of relationship with the custom shop. That's what I remember from the auction. It was nice but not $2400 nice. But what do I know? Someone paid it!
Now where I saved on the 6 string I should report that I paid a little too much for the bass to match the guitar. I've never seen one for sale when this came up and I had to have it. I figured if I ever decide to sell the package, both guitar and bass in sunburst, then it would be very attractive to a collector. I plan to use them for home recording so they are being played. The best info I found on it was on wikipedia. I expect as they become more sought after and prices go up more info will become available. That's all I got right now.
Bob
gtrjunkie

by gtrjunkie » Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:45 pm

I should also say for the record that I fell in love with it when I saw it in a catalog working in a music store in the late 80's. Been looking for one on and off for the last 20yrs. I expect to be owning these two for a very long time. I would love to see production numbers.
Bob
gtrjunkie

by gtrjunkie » Fri Aug 08, 2008 5:32 pm

OK.... Just got dropped off by UPS. This thing is great!!!!!! I love the sound of a Jazz bass but this thing blows it away. If you ever get a chance to get or play one I belive you will not be sorry. I thought I paid too much but not anymore. Has a nice punchy sound and a jazz feel with a little more meat to the back of the neck.
All I can think is that if fender had sofened the curves a little this thing would still be in production.
Bob
gtrjunkie

by sublemon » Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:37 am

Hi there

Yeah $580 is a fine deal for the guitar. For the bass, I have one as well (actually got it very cheap like under $500, but it was a while back). Pearl white, has a couple good sized dings but still looks nice. I think it has some nice sounds, though personally I feel the neck is very skinny for a bass. Good for guitar players but bassists may think it is too thin...

I have been trying to pick up a white performer guitar to go with it (my guitar is the green color), but they are going a bit out of my price range now.

take it easy
sublemon

by gtrjunkie » Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:34 am

Yeah I understand the "out of my price range" But histroy of almost all vintage instruments....... if it goes up, it will not come back down.
gtrjunkie

by gtrjunkie » Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:52 am

I just bit my tongue and hit the "buy it now"!!!!
Maybe by the weekend I'll have my new to me Pearl white fender performer
guitar. I like my sunburst one but oh the colored ones just do it for me.
gtrjunkie

by Kate » Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:52 am

Kate

by gtrjunkie » Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:18 am

gtrjunkie

by gtrjunkie » Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:22 am

gtrjunkie

Next

Return to Vintage American Electric Guitars

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts