[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The VintAxe Guitar Forum • View topic - Getting paint off a 65 Mustang pickguard

The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

Getting paint off a 65 Mustang pickguard

Posts related to vintage guitars made in America or guitars produced by historically American companies

Moderators: cheepaxes, VintAxe, Phizix

by Malcolm » Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:45 pm

I've just rescued a 65 Mustang off a neglectful owner. It's been painted with a paint brush by the looks, including the pickguard. My intention is to restore it to as original condition as possible (ie. not like a new guitar, but like a well looked after 43 year old guitar would look like)

I'm wondering what I should use to gently remove the paint from the pickguard? I may very well find that they've roughed up the guard to make the paint stick, in which case I'll probably have to find a replacement, but until I know that for sure, I'd like to try and remove it without causing further damage.

Cheers
Malcolm
Meat is murder...but a bacon sandwich is justifiable homicide.
Malcolm

by Michael Ambrose » Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:13 pm

I've only had one experience with this... someone sprayed a Supro "Fiddle" bass with red paint... and then green paint... and then re-chrome.

:roll:

Go figure.

Stripping that paint off ended in complete and utter failure... so I ended up sanding it down and spraying it gold and clear-coating it.

Anyhoo...

Worst case scenario, I've bought a few random guards from these guys...

http://stores.ebay.com/T-RVintagePickguardRepro

they do absolutely TOP NOTCH work.
Michael Ambrose

by VintAxe » Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:23 pm

Hey Malcolm,

I'm thinking your only chance is progressively finer abrasives. I don't think chemicals will get your there but if you take an auto finish perspective and move from 1500 to 2000 grit sandpaper and then rubbing compound to polishing compound you might just get the sucker back to spec. Be prepared to rub. Good luck, sb
VintAxe
Site Admin

by Malcolm » Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:02 am

Thanks guys, I feared that might be the answer VintAxe. Oh well, I guess if I wanted easy I'd buy a new guitar.

If it's beyond repair I'll at least have Michael's suggestion as a fall back.

Cheers
Malcolm
Meat is murder...but a bacon sandwich is justifiable homicide.
Malcolm

by VintAxe » Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:20 am

True Malcolm, no one ever said vintage guitars are easy.

I just felt some 1500 grit sandpaper I had lying around here and if you are truely starting from scratch on removing the paint you will probably need to start with something coarser. Start using the finer stuff once you reach the plastic.

You'll need to go to an automotive parts supplier for the finer sandpaper and rubbing compound. It will probably cost around $5 per grit change so hopefully you can get to the finer grits quickly or you'll have a $25 investment in abrasives.

Good luck,

steve
VintAxe
Site Admin

by blaznbass » Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:50 am

depending on the type of paint. (and pickguard)
i've found plain zippo lighter fluid softens it up.
try it on the back side, to check for discoloration of pickguard.
also "goo gone" cleaning solvent .
blaznbass

Return to Vintage American Electric Guitars

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts