[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The VintAxe Guitar Forum • View topic - Thomastik Infeld or Pyramid Gold for Rickenbacker 12-string?

The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

Thomastik Infeld or Pyramid Gold for Rickenbacker 12-string?

Posts related to vintage guitars made in America or guitars produced by historically American companies

Moderators: cheepaxes, VintAxe, Phizix

by audiodrome » Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:40 am

I just ordered a Thomastik Infeld Jazz Custom 12-string set because I was told that they closely match the sound and guage of the Maxima strings that came on the original '60s Rickenbacker 12-string guitars. But I've also heard that Pyramid makes a vintage-style flatwound 12-string set that also matches the original Rickenbacker "factory" strings. Any opinions here as to what sounds more like the real thing?
Paul
audiodrome

by jeff mercer » Tue Sep 16, 2008 5:55 pm

Hi, Audiodrome. Not sure if you're aware, but the Rickenbacker company themselves still offer an Electric 12-string set, so if you're looking for an "authentic" sound, that would have to be the way to go ! A friend just put a set on his old Martin D-28-12, and despite the fact they are intended for electric guitar, they felt & sounded great. Did'nt think to ask where he got them, but if they're obtainable here in Australia, they would be most anywhere else. Good luck, let me know how you go..Jeff
jeff mercer

by VintAxe » Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:12 pm

Hey audiodrome.

I understand the spirit of your question but I wonder if the type of strings is more about feel and longevity than sound. When I think of all the factors that go into what you associate with Rick 12 string sound, strings strike me as making one of the smaller contributions. I would go with strings that feel right to you and use guitar, amp, eq, effects, etc to get your sound. Maybe I'm just not a purist :)
VintAxe
Site Admin

by Jackbalance » Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:26 am

From a Roger McGuinn interview (about Pyramid strings): "They are simply the best strings I've ever played. They are like the old Rickenbacker strings used to be, when they were hand-made in Germany. It's the same technique; it's a high quality, nickel, flat-wound string."

I've been using them in my 360/12 and they are the best-sounding strings that I've tried so far.
Jackbalance

by Riotonsunset » Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:49 pm

Most guys I now that play Rick 12-strings like the TI better.John Hall said said the Pyramid changed the way they make their strings so they are not the same as the ones they sold in the 60s

Riotonsunset

Return to Vintage American Electric Guitars

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts