[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The VintAxe Guitar Forum • View topic - Where can I get a Fender "relic" pickguard?

The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

Where can I get a Fender "relic" pickguard?

Posts related to vintage guitars made in America or guitars produced by historically American companies

Moderators: cheepaxes, VintAxe, Phizix

by audiodrome » Sat Oct 04, 2008 10:19 am

I'm looking for an "aged" pickguard for my '62 vintage Strat. I have a newer replacement guard but it doesn't match the vintage look of my guitar. Does Fender (or anyone else) sell aged "yellowed" pickguards? The vintage ones on eBay are ridiculous - upwards of $3000! If not, is there a way to relic a pickguard to give it a "yellowish" aged tint?
Paul
audiodrome

by cheepaxes » Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:30 pm

audiodrome: "I'm looking for an "aged" pickguard for my '62 vintage Strat."

As pickguards of that era age they tend to turn slightly green. Pickguards are made and marketed in this color as "mint" green. Pickguards made to emulated aged yellow guards are sold as "parchment" colored. Various companies sell mint and parchment pickguards. You can find them by Googling. I don't have any recommendations for any off the top of my head. My limited experience tells me that the better ones are those that match the position of the holes in the guard, so you don't need to drill new holes in your vintage guitar to accomodate the new pickguard.

As an alternative, I've aged (yellowed) a white pickguard by sanding the surface and soaking in coffee and tea. For your purposes though, I think you want to go with mint, not yellow.

-Scott
cheepaxes

by Spud1950 » Sun Oct 05, 2008 3:35 am

GR Guitars is one of the most popular and best sources to get authentic looking reliced parts.They do an excellent job. You can get a reliced '62 Strat guard for $39.95. Here's their site. Click on "Strat" in the menu,scroll down to "Pickguards",keep scrolling down and you'll find reliced '62 Strat guards.

http://www.grguitars.com/
Spud1950

by audiodrome » Sun Oct 05, 2008 2:28 pm

Paul
audiodrome

by mapletop » Sun Oct 05, 2008 5:00 pm

mapletop

by Spud1950 » Sun Oct 05, 2008 6:48 pm

Spud1950

by audiodrome » Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:08 am

Paul
audiodrome