[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The VintAxe Guitar Forum • View topic - Kay Value Leader Info Please!

The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

Kay Value Leader Info Please!

Posts related to vintage guitars made in America or guitars produced by historically American companies

Moderators: cheepaxes, VintAxe, Phizix

by thetermight » Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:02 pm

Hey everyone, this is my first post. I have a few pics of a guitar I recently bought off of eBay and was wondering if anyone would give me a little background on it.

How old is it? Are all the parts original? What is it worth?

There's a scratch on the back as seen in the pics but otherwise is in mint condition.

Thanks!

thetermight

by Spud1950 » Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:53 am

I can give a little info. It does appear to be 100% original. From what I know,these were produced from the late '50s until the early '60s. As far as value, I'm not sure. I've recently seen a few of the 3 pickup version of the guitar, model#1963, that have asking prices of $500 to $600 in the same real nice condition as yours. Don't know what the one pickup version goes for as I've never seen one for sale.Here's its 3 pickup big brother.

Spud1950

by thetermight » Tue Oct 28, 2008 5:18 pm

Thanks for the info, that three-pickup one looks brilliant! I'm glad to hear all the pieces look original. Any idea what kind of sound this model might generate? I haven't had a chance to plug it in yet as it's still being shipped.
thetermight

by Michael Ambrose » Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:37 pm

It'll ring like a bell. The neck-position DeArmond gives you the sweetest, glassiest tone you'll ever hear... combined with the chamber?... I have a 1413L that I modded with a second DeArmond, neck and bridge style, and I sometimes wonder why I didn't just move the one to the neck. I played a recording i made using this as a lead guitar for a friend of mine, and he asked me what kind of Tele I used hahaha...

If you like super-clean, super-glassy, this is your guitar.
Michael Ambrose

by Spud1950 » Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:55 pm

Spud1950

by VintAxe » Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:52 am

Hey all,

Gruhn's has a one pup example for sale. They date theirs as 1960 and are asking $350 for it.

I can't link to the photos directly but you can see the guitar by going to their website and checking their inventory. The Kay is listed under Misc. Solidbody Guitars for some reason. I guess it is considered a "tweener".

VintAxe
Site Admin

by thetermight » Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:39 am

thetermight

by VintAxe » Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:19 pm

You pose a good question thetermight, I just don't have the time at this point to research an answer for you.

If the answer is worth $10 to you, I suggest you subscribe to the catalogs and figure out exactly what you have.

I have posted a fairly complete range of Kay catalogs from 1959 to 1966 in the Electric Guitar Catalog Library. I think the only year I'm missing is 1963. A small investment in information will likely answer all you questions.

Here is a link to the Kay catalogs I have uploaded:

Here is a link to subscription information:

Enjoy the guitar, I have a couple of these Kays and I think they are a load of fun for the price. sb
VintAxe
Site Admin

by thetermight » Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:50 am

thetermight

by VintAxe » Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:17 am

VintAxe
Site Admin

by thetermight » Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:56 am

thetermight

by johnnyb » Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:41 pm

here is another example of that same guitar in a silvertone form. but i really wanted to add how nice these guitars play and sound. they also look just great. i dialed in the bridge on this one and havent had to tune it for a couple of months, and the intonation is great up the neck as well. i was thinking of putting dots, or indents on the body where the bridge is. (like a violin) does anyone think that would that be a bad idea? as far as value is concerned.

johnnyb

by thetermight » Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:50 pm

wow that looks stunning in black.

it almost makes me want to re-paint mine! but i wont... I don't have the money to haha.

I'm really glad to hear it plays so well. I don't really understand what you mean about putting dots on the guitar though. care to elaborate?
thetermight

by johnnyb » Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:14 pm

violins and some archtop guitars have small indents in the body that give you a rough idea where the movable bridge should go. they can be hard to spot. they are usually placed where the front corner of each side of the bridge rests. whenever the strings are changed it helps to know where to place the bridge since the strings are what is holding it to the body. and dont re-paint it, they look great as a burst. i think the pots have markings that are a way of dating these guitars, but i think there are others here with more knowledge of that than i. i think this one has pots marked in '61. but that might not mean much.
johnnyb

by Bob K » Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:02 am

NICE axe you've got there, johnnyb. I'll bet it sounds great, too.

Bob
Bob K

Next

Return to Vintage American Electric Guitars

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts