[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The VintAxe Guitar Forum • View topic - Kay KE-10

The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

Kay KE-10

Posts related to vintage guitars made in America or guitars produced by historically American companies

Moderators: cheepaxes, VintAxe, Phizix

by thetermight » Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:13 pm

Hey guys,

Any info on this guitar? I'm told it's 100% original.

Also, any idea what kind of sound I'll be able to get out of it?

thanks!

thetermight

by johnnyb » Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:26 pm

johnnyb

by VintAxe » Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:10 pm

VintAxe
Site Admin

by thetermight » Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:50 pm

thetermight

by johnnyb » Fri Dec 19, 2008 7:10 am

thanks steve, thats basically what i wanted to say. 2 of the same guitars can have very different tones and feel. and buying on e-bay is always a gamble. i know, because due to the lack of pawn and mom and pop shops in the northeast, its my only outlet. i have been disappointed as well as pleasantly surprised by some of the guitars i have purchased. and in a way, the anticipation of "plugging it in" is part of the fun.
johnnyb

by Michael Ambrose » Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:01 am

I have some Kay-branded Tulips with the same pickup/hardware/electronics config as this... (they're in the other room, and I just got up and I'm really too lazy to go look at the brand, but I think they're ET-110's)...

DEFINITELY 70's Teisco.

I've actually never seen an ET-10 before... but interestingly enough, I used to own a pair of "Heit Deluxe" guitars with this EXACT body shape, but with the older style "Kawai" pickups (the ones mounted through the pickguard as opposed to resting on the top like these).

Tone-wise... I kind of like my single-pickup Tulips. A lot. Like I said, I have a few of them. I kind of just use them as knock-arounds, but they're great "test-beds." Here's my experience. Typically I start by running mine into a single-ended Class A tube combo (usually all I ever play), something like a reverberocket. Its VERY dry sounding, very BLAH... which can be a good thing. I then run it through a Keeley Tube Compressor and either Tube Screamer or a Fulltone OCD (just a little bit, for a little more edge), and the tone rounds out quite nicely. This rig makes it sound kind of like my Silvertone 1413L's running straight in. (Yeah, I have this weird thing for single "middle-position" pickup guitars.)

Going in straight, flat, and clean, these things sound like junk... but when I run it through the aforementioned rig, I'd have no problem taking it on stage. I don't really know if thats a reflection on the guitar or on Keeley... I'm thinking Keeley hahaha...
Michael Ambrose

by Michael Ambrose » Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:04 am

PS... haha, I was watching this on Ebay, too!! I was really thinking about nabbing it and lining it up with my Tulips.
Michael Ambrose

by cheepaxes » Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:41 am

I'm with Michael - this is a Kay-branded Teisco, like a tulip body but with a different body style. I don't recall having seen that shape before.

-Scott
cheepaxes

by Riotonsunset » Tue Dec 23, 2008 2:39 pm

Here are the ancestors of your guitar

A Truetone Red Kay Vanguard

And a Teisco Del Ray E-100

Riotonsunset

by cheepaxes » Wed Dec 24, 2008 8:46 am

That red Kay is American-made though, right? I've got a similar one - same body and controls, but with the "bushwacker" headstock and pickup glued under a bump in the pickgaurd.

-Scott
cheepaxes

by VintageGuitars_89 » Thu Dec 25, 2008 7:17 am

Definitely not American. By this point in time (mid-70s), the Kay name was a whore- it was on anything and everything it got paid for.

This body is the same "triple cut away" body that you'll see on many 2-3 pickup Teisco's and also the "Heit" Deluxe.

You made a wise buy. These sound GREAT. Cool color too. Sure, it's a non-tremolo, single pickup guitar. You can get two sounds with it - tone up, and tone down. BUT, what could possibly go wrong with it? Its simplicity gives it a luxury most of this era didn't have- gigability.

Enjoy it!
"Praise him with cymbals and a big bass drum, praise him with fiddles and mandolin. Let every living, breathing creature praise God!" -Psalm 150
VintageGuitars_89

by cheepaxes » Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:56 pm

I think my subscription to the catalogs pages here has lapsed, so I can't check for sure, but I think my Kay:

http://www.scottmcknight.com/KayF.jpg

...was from the mid-'60s, which is why I've been assuming it to be US-made. It does sound cool. I once took it to a gig with my Mexican Tele. The plan was for the Kay to be a backup and look interesting on a guitar stand. After tuning it and playing it during sound check the band leader asked me to play the Kay because it sounded better to him. It sounded better to me too that night. I ended up playing all three sets with it.

-Scott
cheepaxes

by thetermight » Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:27 am

First off, thanks to everyone for all the input!

I didn't realize this thread continued on after my last post!

I've had the guitar set up and it's very playable! The tone through my Fender 2 by 12 is actually very similar to the Kay Value Leader I bought earlier.

There is a fret directly next to the nut with no space between the two and the truss rod is down on the body as opposed to the traditional headstock type...

One big difference i've found is that when I shake the body while sustaining a note or i push the neck outward it gives a very nice tremolo sound!

I think this may be the start of a guitar collection for me!
thetermight

by cheepaxes » Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:43 pm

"There is a fret directly next to the nut with no space between the two"

This is known as a zero fret. I have a few guitars with this and guitar companies considered to be pretty decent have used this design.

"and the truss rod is down on the body as opposed to the traditional headstock type..."

Also very common. I've got Fenders with truss rod adjustments on the body side instead of the headstock side.

"One big difference i've found is that when I shake the body while sustaining a note or i push the neck outward it gives a very nice tremolo sound!"

Generally considered to be a characteristic of a cheap guitar, though people have put it to good use before. IIRC Leslie West favored cheaper Gibsons because he could do this with them. You might try tightening the neck bolts to see whether it solves this "problem."

"I think this may be the start of a guitar collection for me!"

Congratulations! :)

-Scott
cheepaxes

by Riotonsunset » Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:08 pm

Riotonsunset

Return to Vintage American Electric Guitars

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts