[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The VintAxe Guitar Forum • View topic - Gibson Firebrand SG???

The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

Gibson Firebrand SG???

Posts related to vintage guitars made in America or guitars produced by historically American companies

Moderators: cheepaxes, VintAxe, Phizix

by rayvaun » Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:52 pm

Hi folks,

A friend of mine bought this guitar for $700.00 and she was told it was an early 70s SG II. I have my doubts because I never saw an SG with this volume/tone/toggle configuration, let alone a side mounted input jack. At first I thought it was a fake (serial # sanded away). However, I think I've narrowed t down to a late 70's early 80's Gibson Firebrand SG. But there was a Deluxe and a Standard Firebrand. The name plate and pick guard have been removed from this guitar so it's not labeled. Any thoughts?

Is that enough pics? LOL I told her to take a lot of pics. Some are a little blurry but I hope they'll suffice.

Anyway, any additional info on this would be great! I'm just want to make sure that she didn't get taken.

Thanks!

-Ray-
rayvaun

by Spud1950 » Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:56 pm

According to this,it's a 1979 SG Firebrand.Looks exactly the same,except for the removed pickguard and truss rod cover. Check it out.

Spud1950

by rayvaun » Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:14 pm

Yeah, but is it a Deluxe, a Standard or neither? The name plate on the '79 SG just say's "The SG". I don't think those are original pick ups either but I'm not sure. The Catalog descriptions of the 1980 version states that the Deluxe is Mahogany and the Standard is Walnut. I'm not a wood guru so I couldn't tell you what kind of wood that is.
rayvaun

by VintAxe » Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:03 pm

VintAxe
Site Admin

by evilLordJuju » Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:04 pm

Yeah i'd agree it is mahogany (and therefore a deluxe) - it has been stained dark, but I think I can see (by the neck strap button) a little bit of lighter coloured wood (have a look in that hole if you like) which would seem way to light for walnut.
|
evilLordJuju

Return to Vintage American Electric Guitars

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts