[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The VintAxe Guitar Forum • View topic - Great to see this one in use.

The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

Great to see this one in use.

Posts related to vintage guitars made in America or guitars produced by historically American companies

Moderators: cheepaxes, VintAxe, Phizix

by mrblanche » Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:03 am

I just got off a cruise on the Voyager of the Seas. A guy in the Pig and Whistle Pub aboard hosted singalongs using this beauty:

Tried to catch up with him, but I never succeeded.

mrblanche

by VintAxe » Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:26 pm

Hey mrblanche, glad to hear you got a chance to get away and do some crusin'

Amazing this guy's willing to travel with an original National map guitar. When I first opened your post my first thought was that the guitar was one of Eastwood's reproductions. I then recalled that Eastwood puts a Bigsby on their instruments suggesting this one must be an original. After making an actual comparison of the two guitars there are many obvious differences.

The pickup in the original Nationals has a rich bassy-midrange tone which is why Jack White was probably attracted to Valco made Airlines in the first place. It fills a lot of frequency space making it a good choice for a solo instrument.

Here's a pix of the Eastwood version for comparison. I think they are pretty cool for $800, but not as cool as an original.

VintAxe
Site Admin

by simonm » Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:59 pm

I think it might be a Japanese '90s JayRo 'Metropolitan' National copy rather than an original... or if it's an original he's done the unthinkable and changed the pickups for humbuckers!
National/Supro/Valco gtrs never had Gibson-stlye pickup rings with screws at the corners like this one. Cool gtr though - like the fretboard inlays - impressive detail if it's a copy.
simonm

by sneakypete » Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:36 pm

yeah I saw those Jayros on line a couple of years ago, made through a Japanese company called Bacchus...I have several of those from their vintage series of a decade or so ago and they are great guitars...but I think the Jayros are MIK.
sneakypete

by VintAxe » Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:04 pm

Good eye on the pickup rings simonm, I didn't notice. I also wasn't aware the the National map guitars were reproduced in Japan/Korea in the 90's. Good info. Thanks
VintAxe
Site Admin

by Michael Ambrose » Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:17 am

Michael Ambrose

by simonm » Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:26 pm

simonm

by Spud1950 » Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:43 pm

Metropolitan Tanglewood Custom.

Spud1950

by VintAxe » Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:02 pm

I can't believe I completely forgot about the Metropolitan map guitars. :oops:

Thanks for being awake at the switch Michael.
VintAxe
Site Admin

by simonm » Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:47 am

ay yi yi! $3.5K - that's why the inlays are correct. I never looked into these before - I just assumed the Metropolitan was the top o the line Jayro. Thanks for clarifying.
simonm

by sneakypete » Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:28 pm

Deviser the parent company to Jayro had another MIK line called Brian, and they had the BNG-450 lookalike model to the one pictured above as well, this was 10 years ago, I saw them in shops but never played one. The -45 part means it retailed for 45,ooo yen, not high end, so if they were having them built in Korea in 1999...my pamphlet with the Brian model pictured is dated to that year...was easy to just change the name on the headstock to Jayro, and those still show up on line here in the used market. Deviser also makes the Headway acoustic line, they also have/had the Riverhead brand, Momose, as I said Bachus and have a Deviser custom shop. I was getting the Bacchus for almost nothing 10 years ago, now they`ve been discovered and prices are gettin` up there on the vintage series particularly.
sneakypete

Return to Vintage American Electric Guitars

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts