[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The VintAxe Guitar Forum • View topic - 1960 Fender esquier

The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

1960 Fender esquier

Posts related to vintage guitars made in America or guitars produced by historically American companies

Moderators: cheepaxes, VintAxe, Phizix

by Eli » Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:47 pm

Hi guys,First of all let me say that this is a very cool forum I really enjoy looking through it. I am looking at buying a 1960 esquier The bad is that the paint was stripped off and I believe the pickguard is not original other than that everything is from the factory.I was wondering if it can be painted in the honey blonde and what kind of value would it have being its not original 100% He is asking 1200.00 USD for it any advice is appreciated.Thanks
Eli

by Spud1950 » Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:34 pm

I had exactly one of those,in perfect condition, when I was in high school in 1968. I bought it for $125 and sold it about six months later for $150. I thought I was real slick making a $25 profit. Now I kick myself in the butt for not hanging on to it.Of course condition is everything,but in very good to excellent original condition the asking prices right now for that year are somewhere around $10,000 to $14,000. The guard being replaced is not that big of a deal,but the finish being stripped off is.With such a desirable collectors guitar, this can devalue the guitar as much as as 50%,but it's still worth way more then the $1200 asking price.If it has been professionally verified that it is indeed a 1960 Esquire and everything else is in original condition,I would certainly grab it before the owner finds out what it's really worth! You can have it repainted,which would probably add a bit more value, but nowhere as much as if it had the original finish. Anyway, if it really is what it's purported to be, I would jump on it.
Spud1950

by Michael Ambrose » Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:51 pm

Finish is over-rated. You get a pre-CBS Fender to PLAY it, not to look at it... it ought to be a crime to "collect" these things.

(1200 is a STEAL, by the way.)

I would be more concerned with the electronics than the finish. Before plunking anything down on it, have the seller pull it open in front of you, and go in there armed with pot codes. Check the solder joints and make sure nothing looks "fresh" or sloppy. Make damned sure the pup is stock.

A buddy of mine invested 700 not long ago in a similar situation... '61 Esquire, original finish but you could barely tell since so little was left, replacement pearloid guard, original pup but replacement (dated to the 70's) electronics. Over the course of the year, he found (on ebay, and in various different auctions) a period-correct Tele neck pickup (which he planned to use on another project), a period correct Tele PG, and a period correct wiring harness... Sure, it ain't original, but I've NEVER played a better sounding/feeling Tele (and I've played a real-deal Nocaster).

So.

Forget the finish.

Check those electronics. They're the heart and soul of that axe.
Michael Ambrose

by Eli » Sat Jan 31, 2009 2:26 am

Well I have known the owner all my life , infact I won a 8th grade talent show with it in jr.high back in 1982 When I was a kid so I have some attachment to this guitar,and I am going to buy it.He says he may have the original case for it but does not remember where he has placed it,He is the second owner by the way.Well thanks for the reply I thank all you guys.thanks Eli
Eli

by pcosmo » Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:42 pm

Hello Eli....so what'd ya do...did you buy it? btw in my opinion with the knowledge you have already...you can't go wrong money wise....

You asked about the finish...I'd just buy it and play it and then decide...you can spend serious money or do it yourself...It's a free world ya know...there's lots of very talented people refinishing guitars...and you don't HAVE to have it done by THE BEST guy in the world....If you'd like to know...go to the telecaster website and ask around for estimates...I think the real deal corksniffer refinishers get around $2,500...

whether it's a great player....you should be able to tell by simply playing it a whole lot...they grow on you. and that sound..is unique...you will know if you simply compare it to anything else...it'll be brash and twangy and louder and once you figure it out a bit, you'll be hooked.....good luck and let us know.....
pcosmo

Return to Vintage American Electric Guitars

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts