[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The VintAxe Guitar Forum • View topic - I need help identifying this Kay please

The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

I need help identifying this Kay please

Posts related to vintage guitars made in America or guitars produced by historically American companies

Moderators: cheepaxes, VintAxe, Phizix

by 2smokin'barrels » Wed May 13, 2009 9:48 am

Hi and thank you for reading my post. I just started to learn guitar after 33 years of musical ignorance and I am loving it so much that my brother decided to start as well. Well, he asked my uncle if he still had the old guitar that our grandfather bought him. So, down from the attic in its case came the beautiful flaming red Kay guitar. Now I had recently enough been researching guitars to upgrade from my learner. So I had some idea that this might be more than just attic junk.

So the research began and we can find no example exactly like it. Either the pick-ups are wrong or the headstock is different, etc... As best as my uncle can remember my grandfather bought it for him in the mid 60's from a sporting good store, probably lightly used. Since the mid 60's my uncle learned three chords and could play "secret agent man," we laughed but it speaks for the guitars condition. It is nearly MINT. The only evidence that this guitar was even handled is maybe some wear at the edges of the neck at the first 4 frets and a missing sticker on the 1 knob. We know that my uncle has not modified it in any way, however, we can not speak for the short time it was around before my grandfather purchased it.

We got it in tune as best we could, plugged it in to an amp and it played like a champ. All tone and volume knobs and pick-up selections work. We are not very interested in value. We are much more excited to have something from the family that was special to our grandfather.

We have no model or serial number. We could not see anything through the F-holes and are afraid to remove the rear cover to check for anything there. Any further guidance or info would be appreciated. Thank you again and I hope my post wasn't to long.

We are working on high res photos. Sorry

2smokin'barrels

by Michael Ambrose » Wed May 13, 2009 10:25 am

Ah, yes...

The exact model name/number escape me... but that is definitely from the tail end of Kay's American presence towards the late 1960's... The "Lady Shoe" headstock is indicative of that era, and you can see the incorporation of Japanese parts.

What were these called in the 60's? Something like a "Half-Demon," to correspond with their Speed Demons? Or is THIS what they called a Speed Demon in the late 60's? I always get those two confused... for some reason I want to call the single-cuts Speed Demons and the DCs Half Demons... but I think they flipped the names to other way around later in the 60's.

Kay changed their appointments relatively frequently during this era. Check out the catalog section on this site, you'll undoubtedly find your model... though the seasons proceeding and following might show completely different appointments for the same model!... you may even find your model in one season from one particular retailer, but not from another!

Anyhoo...

That guitar will treat you nice. American made body and neck... tailpiece is Japanese... no idea about the electronics (though I'm sure they're CTS or Switchcraft)... Pickups LOOK like DeArmonds... but who knows what Kay was doing at this point, and I've definitely seen Japanese pickups that looked like that... (You could tell instantly who made the pups by pulling one out and looking at the back... if its a Rowe/DeArmond, it'll be stamped or stickered on there).

Don't be afraid to remove the control plate in the back... but if you're not doing any work in there, or if there's nothing wrong, you won't really find anything interesting or useful to you.

Great guitar!! I've owned several. (Check out my thread in the "Show and Tale" folder about my rebuilt/modded-out early-model 18-fret Kay Speed Demon.) Hang on to that one, get yourself some lessons, and get it played!!
Michael Ambrose

by 2smokin'barrels » Wed May 13, 2009 10:37 am

Thank you so much for the reply. That all makes very good sense and is consistent with the leads we have come across so far.

Do you know where the model number should be?

Would that really help that much?

We will surely check out the catalogs now!
2smokin'barrels

by Michael Ambrose » Wed May 13, 2009 11:10 am

You won't find the model number printed anywhere on the guitar, save maybe for a nondescript number stamped beneath the neck heel or inside the body (which would more or less just be a body designation than anything else, as model numbers varied by the appointments)... but honestly, it won't really help you out much.

Kay wasn't like Fender or Gibson... you couldn't (in every case, necessarily) just go to a single catalog and point and say "Hey, there's my guitar!"... It is my understanding that different retailers had different versions of various Kay models.

As I have a similar model, I'd venture a guess that you'll find this guitar to have something like a K-5** model number... but again, you undoubtedly won't find that printed/stamped anywhere on the body.
Michael Ambrose

by richc101 » Sat Jun 06, 2009 8:59 pm

richc101

by hansmoust » Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:35 am

hansmoust

Return to Vintage American Electric Guitars

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts