[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The VintAxe Guitar Forum • View topic - The Holy Grail Of Junk Guitars!

The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

The Holy Grail Of Junk Guitars!

Posts related to vintage guitars made in America or guitars produced by historically American companies

Moderators: cheepaxes, VintAxe, Phizix

by Riotonsunset » Sun May 17, 2009 2:47 pm

On Ebay(click the pick)

Riotonsunset

by VintAxe » Sun May 17, 2009 8:38 pm

Ok, so here's my Jack White story. Several years back when the White Stripes were just getting popular, I decided I wanted a red Airline resoglas. I shopped eBay for a few months and finally bid on a clean example with the Fender style headstock. After winning the auction, I received an email explaining that the fella had been asleep at the wheel and missed biding on the auction. He offered me a couple of hundred dollars more than I paid for the guitar if I would sell it to him. After exchanging a couple of emails, he asked if I had bought the guitar because of the White Stripes. Shamefully, I had no clue. Turns out he had a Gumby neck, and wanted to use the body to build a backup guitar for his next tour. Sorry I didn't know you then Jack but I certainly know you now. Thanks for putting Airlines on the map :)
VintAxe
Site Admin

by Spud1950 » Sun May 17, 2009 10:05 pm

What is your definition of a "junk guitar"? Personally,I would consider that model Airline far from being a junk guitar.
Spud1950

by Riotonsunset » Mon May 18, 2009 12:17 am

Riotonsunset

by Michael Ambrose » Mon May 18, 2009 9:26 am

Haha... I have a similar story involving a Starfire II bass and Ryan Adams... only in that one he ended up with my bass!!

I'm 50/50 on the "junk" terminology... they're REALLY damn cool guitars... I LUST for the tone of those Nat'l single-coils (back when people were chopping these up, I bought of stockpile of their pickups)... but the feel is always hit-or-miss with these boxy, bulky puppies. Sometimes the neck is just right, but the body doesn't jive on my beergut... and then, more often than not, that neck goes wacky.

Ultimately... microphonic singlecoils (much as I love their tone), that sardine-can tremolo, and the LACK OF A TRUSS ROD (at least for the majority of the line's existence) will always keep these boys teetering that fine line between awesome and junk.

(Side note. I have an utterly TRASHED Airline neck... One of my summer projects is going to be to see if I can steam off the fretboard, install a trussrod, and piece it back together... maybe try and salvage some of my other Valco necks.)
Michael Ambrose

by Riotonsunset » Tue May 19, 2009 12:42 pm

Wow,it sold for $1026.That is only $27 more than than the reissue($999).
Riotonsunset

by cheepaxes » Tue May 19, 2009 1:40 pm

Back about 20 years ago my band opened for Marshall Crenshaw a couple nights in a row. One of my bandmates sold MC an EKO violin bass that weekend.

-Scott
cheepaxes

by Michael Ambrose » Sat May 23, 2009 11:51 pm

You know...

These models were cool...

...but if you ask me, the Map models (Westwood/Glenwood) and the Studio '66 are the holy grail of this lot. All the same appointments (or lack thereof), but good god damn the styling!!... especially on the Studio '66. Oh, how I've longed for one of these...

I tell you, if Eastwood ever does a true-to-form reissue of the Studio '66 (complete with oddball molded pickup), I'll be the first in line.
Michael Ambrose

by straycat113 » Sat Dec 19, 2009 3:48 am

I think these guitars stimulate peoples minds back to there child hood and that is why they are attracted to them, because to be honest they are pretty bad guitars.
straycat113

by Michael Ambrose » Sat Dec 19, 2009 9:31 am

Bad guitars?? Oh, don't get me started, Mr Collector... hahaha...

Straight from the box, maybe... but Dan Armstrong did wonders with Dano's... and with a little knowhow its really easy to make a U1, U2, 1448, or 1457 into rock-solid players.

Plus, the pickups (either Danos or DeArmonds) beat the living hell out of anything Fender or Gibson was putting out at the time. (Undeniably the best shielding of the period.)

And the mid/higher-end Valco pieces, aside from being bolt-ons, had it all over even Gibson's attempt at modernistic guitars... tonally and stylistically.

Ah, look at this can of worms you opened... hahaha...

Seriously, though... Don't get hung up on the BS "mystique" of Gibsons, and don't knock the Dano.
Michael Ambrose

by straycat113 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:46 pm

straycat113

Return to Vintage American Electric Guitars

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts