[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The VintAxe Guitar Forum • View topic - 6/12 DOUBLE NECK

The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

6/12 DOUBLE NECK

Posts related to vintage guitars made in America or guitars produced by historically American companies

Moderators: cheepaxes, VintAxe, Phizix

by MATT » Sun May 24, 2009 1:25 pm

Passed up the melody maker I was looking, at and now I am hooked on the idea of a double neck. There is a danelectro 6/12 on ebay I am considering but are there any nice double necks you guys would recomend?

thanks,
Matthew
MATT

by VintAxe » Mon May 25, 2009 7:42 pm

MATT, you must be a young lad with a strong back. Many solid body 6-12 combos weigh up to 13-14 pounds. Since this design only makes sense in a gigging situation where there is little time to switch guitars, we're talking standing onstage for at least an hour with 14 pounds strapped over your shoulder. Only a manley man does that on a consistent basis :D

On the bright side, I doubt the Danelectro 6-12 tips the scales at 14 pounds. If you like the Dano tone and want a 6-12 this is a good way to go.

The other consideration is price. Both Fujigen (Ibanez) and Matsumoku (Aria) have made cool 6-12 combinations in the 70's/80's but the price tag will likely be over $2,000.

Check these threads for examples:

Of course, you can go all out and mortgage your house for an original late 1950's Gibson Double 12. But on the other hand, you are likely to be very happy with the Dano.
VintAxe
Site Admin

by MATT » Tue May 26, 2009 5:33 am

A gibson is definately out of my league. I simply need a good guitar for jamming with friends. I play alot of classic rock ( the who, led zepp etc) as well as some guns n roses ( Use your illusion:) And alot of these have great chorus parts that sound great on twelve yet when the solo arrives you need a six. I think I am going to look out for a danelectro.

How is the quality of your dano. I played a 59 dc in a local store and it souded really good but the quality seemed to be less than accceptable.

thanks ,
Matthew
MATT

by Michael Ambrose » Tue May 26, 2009 8:58 am

If you want a cheap alternative, try Rondo Music.

Their guitars are always hit or miss though.
Michael Ambrose

by MATT » Tue May 26, 2009 3:06 pm

Their guitars look kinda cheap. I want something that will last
MATT

by cheepaxes » Tue May 26, 2009 7:32 pm

I know a few guys who've gotten Agile and SX guitars from Rondo. The general opinion I've heard is that, if you are willing and able to do your own setup work, including truss rod adjustment, nut height adjustment, intonation and some fret leveling, you can get a very good instrument for the money.

-Scott
cheepaxes

by Michael Ambrose » Tue May 26, 2009 8:35 pm

Michael Ambrose

by MATT » Wed May 27, 2009 5:11 am

MATT

by Michael Ambrose » Wed May 27, 2009 8:40 am

Don't get me wrong, the NEW 59DC's are MUCH better than the late 90's reissues... but some of those 90's era guitars are real stinkers.

On the other hand, I have a U2-56 reissue from the late 90's... its one of the "Deluxe" models with the finished matching necks... and aside from the tuners (which I swapped out years ago), its one solid piece!... but at the same time i've played plenty of U1's, U2's, and DC's that wouldn't be suitable for firewood.

There was just so much inconsistency back then.
Michael Ambrose

by cheepaxes » Wed May 27, 2009 12:40 pm

FWIW - I've got a '90s U2 RI and a '90s baritone. I don'really have any complaints about either, aside from the fact that the U2 plays sharp on the E and A strings, around frets 2-3, the same as the originals did. This, despite the fact that I tried several of them when I bought mine new, and thought I'd found one that didn't do that. It wasn't a problem 'til I put flatwounds on it, though I've never heard anything to suggest that flatwounds should be more suceptible to that phenomenon that roundwounds.

-Scott
cheepaxes

by MATT » Wed May 27, 2009 3:22 pm

Sounds like it might be safer to steer away from the 6/12 danos. Are there any twelve string guitars you guys would recomend ( double neck or otherwise) that are affordable.

Thanks,
Matthew
MATT

by Michael Ambrose » Wed May 27, 2009 10:22 pm

Affordable? It all depends on your definition... how important having an actual 6/12 is... having a RELIABLE 6/12... etc...

The Dano 6/12s are running around 500ish... Jay Tursers cash in around 400ish... The Rondo brands are hitting around 250-300...

Epiphone made a relatively affordable (note the word "relatively") ES1275 reissue not too long ago... hitting around 500 to 800... so there's that...

Though there are a few double kit bodies on ebay right now. You might want to think about assembling your own.

The other option is there's always a chorus or an octave pedal...
Michael Ambrose

by MATT » Thu May 28, 2009 5:28 am

It doesnt have to be a double neck, I just thought it might be more convenient. Any good twelve string would be good, but I would like to get a quality guitar that will last. No jay turser or rondos.
MATT

by MATT » Sun May 31, 2009 7:34 pm

I will be trying a epiphone g-1275 at the local guitar shop on thursday,

thanks for all the help guys :)

Matthew
MATT

by mcphoto » Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:41 am

The Jay Turser doublenecks are common on eBay and very affordable. I've got a Turser sorta Jazzmaster-Strat hybrid and it's wicked, more "stratty" than many Strats. My son has a JT Strat that's decent and would be very nice with a little work.

I played a red Gibson 6-12 in the 70's and it was a damn good guitar. (And playing "stairway" at the school dance on a doubleneck? It did land me a hot girlfriend!!!)
mcphoto

Next

Return to Vintage American Electric Guitars

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts