[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The VintAxe Guitar Forum • View topic - Rest in peace, Les Paul.

The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

Rest in peace, Les Paul.

Posts related to vintage guitars made in America or guitars produced by historically American companies

Moderators: cheepaxes, VintAxe, Phizix

by Michael Ambrose » Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:20 am

Les Paul just passed away at the age of 94. (I couldn't think of a better forum to post this.)

The man was still gigging regularly at that age... I only hope I can live up to that one day!

R.I.P.
Michael Ambrose

by 101Volts » Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:00 pm

Rest in Peace, Les Paul.
101Volts

by VintAxe » Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:38 pm

It's only been within the past few years that I have appreciated Les Paul as a performer and electronic innovator. Although, I have always appreciated the guitars that bear his name, as a performer he was just some guy my parents used to listen to and I never paid much attention to his talent.

RCA has taken down the best performance videos of Les and Mary Ford that were up at one time, but the documentary has stayed up for awhile. This is more about Les Paul's life story than documenting his music, but it's interesting viewing for those interested in learning more about Les.

Part 1:

Part 2:

Part 3:

Part 4:

Part 5:

Thanks Les Paul, we wouldn't have music as we know it without you. You won't be mourned, you'll only be celebrated.
VintAxe
Site Admin

by Spud1950 » Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:41 am

A genuine genius who truly changed the face of music. Here's some great pictures of The Log, considered to be the first solid body electric guitar.

"While touring, Les became frustrated with not being heard in large venues, and began experimenting with ways to boost the volume of his guitar. A tinkerer since childhood, Les began to dabble in his home studio with various recording techniques and other inventions. Believing that “any piece of wood—if amplified correctly—could sound good,” Les built his first solid-body guitar in 1941. Christened “The Log,” the instrument was crude, aesthetically unappealing, and impractical due to its weight. The Log consisted of a guitar neck attached to a 4x4 piece of pine wood. Ever the inventor, Les ingeniously fashioned two pickups from the inner coils of an electric clock. That seminal prototype now resides in Nashville’s Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum. "

Spud1950

by MATT » Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:47 am

It is sad to see him go, but I guess it was time.

He was bassicaly the reason I started playing guitar. I was into people like clapton and billy gibbons, who play les pauls. When I found out more about les paul himself I was amazed at his accomplishments. He and the axe that bares his name will always remain a fixation of mine and many other guitarists around the world.

Thanks you Les Paul.
MATT

by VINTAGE JOE » Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:18 pm

VINTAGE JOE

by mke52 » Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:47 am

mke52

by Michael Ambrose » Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:47 am

Michael Ambrose

by Spud1950 » Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:00 pm

Great info here.

Spud1950

by straycat113 » Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:11 am