[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The VintAxe Guitar Forum • View topic - New collector advise

The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

New collector advise

Posts related to vintage guitars made in America or guitars produced by historically American companies

Moderators: cheepaxes, VintAxe, Phizix

by Collector_New-B » Fri Nov 13, 2009 6:31 pm

Hi all,
I would like to start collecting vintage guitars, but I live in an area that doesn't have many pawn shops, guitars shops etc. I was wondering if there are any reputable online sellers that I should know about. I would like to find a vintage les paul (pre 1980's). As far as condition, I love well worn instruments so the guitar does not need to be in particularly great condition. I am also open to guitars that have been refinished or upgraded (not all original). I do ask that the guitar be fully playable & functionable. I would say I am more of a vintage guitar enthusiest than a serious collector. Thank you for any help you can give.
Collector_New-B

by straycat113 » Sat Nov 14, 2009 7:07 pm

Well you do not say what state you live in but most states hold guitar shows. I would definetly look into them and see if any are coming near where you live, as you will find something you like at one. Check out the listings for them in vintage guitar magazine.
straycat113

by Michael Ambrose » Sat Nov 14, 2009 7:57 pm

A pre-1980 Les Paul?

You've got a few strikes against you, unless you've got some money to burn.

First off, early 70's and late 60's models are getting pricey.

If you're a player, really think about going this route. Gibson had some seriously fluctuating quality control issues in the 70's, finish issues in the 60's (as in Gold Top reissues turning green).

70's models... okay, sure, they'll be pretty collectible sooner or later... but I don't any serious players who actually want to play one... The mid-70's saw Gibson producing multi-piece bodies and necks... even releasing (not destroying) "Factory Seconds."

Now, as a player/collector, I'd suggest tracking down one of these. They play just as well as a "Factory First," and were often stamped as "Seconds" simply because of grain issues. And when it comes to playing, seriously, who really cares about the grain? They'll appreciate just as well as a regular issue... but collectors have shied away from them simply because they're "factory seconds." So, right now, they're cheaper.

Say you're looking to dump something like $1500-2000 on an investment piece. If you're looking for a REAL player's investment and not just some quick turn-around, Gibson's custom shop has done some really interesting things through the last ten years, and those guitars are not even close to starting to appreciate. On average, it takes about 20-30 years for a guitar to begin to appreciate... Nab a CS model from the mid-90's, sit on it for the next 15 years. You'll see a decent return. Seen it happen. Hell, seeing it happen right now! haha... (Of course, you'll see the same or better return on CDs or saving bonds... hahaha...)
Michael Ambrose

by novi » Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:20 am

I am a Novi because I find new things to learn everyday...
novi

by mke52 » Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:33 am

mke52

by kjguitarworx » Sat Nov 21, 2009 6:34 pm

I have been buying, selling and playing guitars for 30+ years. I have learned a lot in those years about electric guitars(my main focus). I have learned that guitars are like anything else, just objects. If you can find ones that you like, keep them. If you don't bond with a certain instrument, sell it. They are all meant to be played, not just kept in their case, never to see the light of day.
I buy solid body electric guitars from all different manufacturers, all years, all types. That being said, I limit myself to a certain budget per guitar, and try not to spend too much for a particular model. It would be easy to overspend for that guitar you" just gotta have"! I still find good deals in pawn shops, tho not like in the old days before the internet.
I tend to collect what others would not. I can't afford "vintage collector pieces". I buy what I like. I started collecting Japanese guitars from the 1960-70s because they are interesting, affordable and fun to own and play. I also love Fender Stratocasters, and find them everywhere. They are easy to purchase, repair and modify, so I have quite a few. Nothing from the 1950s, but some very nice ones that I love to play, and sound great.
Collecting really depends on how much $$$$$$ you have to spend. And in hindsite, there are some guitars that I never should have sold. It just takes a keen eye to spot the keepers. Good luck!!
kjguitarworx

Return to Vintage American Electric Guitars

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts