[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The VintAxe Guitar Forum • View topic - stolen Orpheum "thin-twin"

The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

stolen Orpheum "thin-twin"

Posts related to vintage guitars made in America or guitars produced by historically American companies

Moderators: cheepaxes, VintAxe, Phizix

by Brizo » Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:46 pm

In 1965 I bought a like new Orpheum(Kay k161 "thin twin") at a local music store. The years went by and my younger brother also played guitar a lot and had wanted the Orpheum for a long time, and since I had lost intrest in playing I finaly sold it to him. Around 1992 he was living in West Palm Florida, often playing open stages . One night he van was broken into and the Orpheum and two other guitars were stolen. Curiously, about 8 months later, I saw GT Smith playing a K161 on SNL ??? You couldnt get a good look at the headstock and I know they probably made thousands of these under 5 or 6 different names, but I sure have to wonder If it might be mine??? It was the first time I had ever seen another one. And now, TBone Burnett is playing one with a blank head stock on a YouTube video ??? Any thoughts or info anybody??
Brizo

by cheepaxes » Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:24 pm

There are reissues of many Kay guitars being made now, including the Thin Twin. You're likely to see more of them in the futire.

-Scott
cheepaxes

by Brizo » Sun Dec 27, 2009 3:23 pm

Cheepaxes, Your correct about the reissues but, the GE Smith performance on SNL was from about 10 years ago and the one T Bone Burnette is playing in the YouTube video has rust on the pick ups so they must be originals.
Brizo

by Spud1950 » Sun Dec 27, 2009 6:22 pm

T Bone Burnett plays the real deals,not reissues.He has a big collection of vintage Kay's,Harmony's,etc. and uses them to record and perform. He also has a recording studio made up of all vintage analog equipment, which he prefers over digital. He's a vintage gear hound. As far as either one of them having the stolen guitar, how could you ever prove it, unless you have proof of a serial number that matchs?
Spud1950

by cheepaxes » Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:39 am

I didn't mean to suggest either T-Bone's or GE's was an RI. Just that you're likely to see more of them in the future due the RIs. Not long ago I saw Jimmy Vaughn playing an original on an Austin City Limits tribute to Jimmy Reed. I think the popularity of the Thin Twin has increased lately. Partly due to its use by these players and partly due to the interest in vintage guitars in general.

Scott
cheepaxes

by Spud1950 » Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:07 am

The Thin Twin is a great looking and sounding guitar. It's funny to see the pickups described a lot of times in for sale adds as being so named because it has "thin pickups".They don't realize that what you see through the top of the guitar is only the chromed magnet bar. The pickups are actually quite large.

Spud1950

Return to Vintage American Electric Guitars

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts