[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The VintAxe Guitar Forum • View topic - A small piece of Standel guitar History

The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

A small piece of Standel guitar History

Posts related to vintage guitars made in America or guitars produced by historically American companies

Moderators: cheepaxes, VintAxe, Phizix

by novi » Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:36 am

I am always fascinated with American vintage guitar history. Many guitar players are familiar with the vintage or the newly reissued Standel amps but some may not aware that they had tried to produce guitars in the '60.

Here is one of the guitar that was made in that era.

From my research and study on the internet, (thanks to many articles by Deke Dickerson and Bob Shade) I learned that Joe Hall worked at Semie's factory to exchange his money he paid for the undelivered custom guitar. Joe never got paid but learned a lot from Semie on guitar making. Later he joined and worked with Bob Crooks at Standel. Bob wanted to expand his successful amplifier lines and get into guitar business.

In the 60's, they had tried to put together a Mosrite like guitar line for a trade show and for an Ad in Downbeat Magazine. Here is the actual Ad:

I was very fortunate to acquire one of those guitars made for the show (see photo)

It looks like Joe had to make the guitar and the case by hand. I have noticed some Mosrite inspiration and influences on the guitar.

The case was hand made. The handle should not be placed right in the middle.

According to the ex owner, he purchased this guitar from a collector in Spain. The guitar was also featured in a Japanese Vintage guitar magazine. The guitar seemed to travel around the world. I am glad that it is back at home in the US.

I understand that the Standel guitar show wasn't successful and Joe parted with Bob and formed his own company; Hallmark. Joe took some left over parts and assembled some guitars at the new company. (the so called double logo guitars; with Hallmark logo on headstock and Standel's "S" logo on the body)

Anyone who can share their inputs or comments are appreciated.

Happy New Year!
I am a Novi because I find new things to learn everyday...
novi

by Murphguitarfan » Sat Jan 02, 2010 4:01 pm

That is a very nice guitar! I heard these were prototypes?
Murphguitarfan

by novi » Sat Jan 02, 2010 4:09 pm

novi

by novi » Sat Jan 02, 2010 4:09 pm

novi

by Spud1950 » Sun Jan 03, 2010 6:23 am

Spud1950

by novi » Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:14 am

novi

by Spud1950 » Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:56 am

Spud1950

by novi » Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:16 am

novi

by Spud1950 » Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:46 am

Well,he may have also taken the cases along with the guitars.Whatever. You should contact Hallmark Guitars with pictures of the guitar.Seems to me that you may be able to get more real info on the guitar then we can speculate about.

Spud1950

by novi » Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:36 pm

novi

Return to Vintage American Electric Guitars

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts