[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The VintAxe Guitar Forum • View topic - Need help IDing this old Kay

The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

Need help IDing this old Kay

Posts related to vintage guitars made in America or guitars produced by historically American companies

Moderators: cheepaxes, VintAxe, Phizix

by VintageGuitars_89 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:57 am

What can you tell me about this old axe? Plays like a million

Image[/img]
"Praise him with cymbals and a big bass drum, praise him with fiddles and mandolin. Let every living, breathing creature praise God!" -Psalm 150
VintageGuitars_89

by cheepaxes » Sat Apr 17, 2010 6:21 am

I believe that's a version of the Vanguard. That's not the first time I've seen that particular pickup in one, but they're somewhat rare from what I've seen. I have something similar, same body, bushwacker headstock, under-pickguard pickup. Mine plays well enough after some set up work.

Scott
cheepaxes

by audiodrome » Sat May 08, 2010 10:45 pm

How about this one? I posted this picture a while back but I still don't have a positive ID. It was "identified" as a Titan, a Vanguard, and a Value Leader, but when I looked those models up online none of them looked like my Kay. However, I did find this one picture (below), which looks pretty darn close, but there wasn't a model name listed, only "3-Pickup Solidbody."

Paul
audiodrome

by Michael Ambrose » Mon May 10, 2010 12:34 pm

Audiodrome... yours is a Kay K-333 Vanguard. The Vanguard bodies went through VAST changes from their inaugural year through the termination of the line. They were initially small and blocky but eventually become more stylized.

The Value Leader was basically their answer to a Les Paul, a rounded single-cut electric spanish.

I believe I'm the one that told you it was a Titan. (Just searched for the old thread.) The picture in that thread is really blurred and its hard to make out the hardware. The Titan line came slightly after this piece, and featured Kessel-style pickups and deeper bevels and contours, though the body was incredibly similar.
Michael Ambrose

by audiodrome » Mon May 17, 2010 8:35 pm

Great - thank you Michael! Unfortunately, I don't think I have any good clear pictures of the guitar. I'll try to find a better one somewhere.
Paul
audiodrome

Return to Vintage American Electric Guitars

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts