[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The VintAxe Guitar Forum • View topic - ODD QUESTION

The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

ODD QUESTION

Posts related to vintage guitars made in America or guitars produced by historically American companies

Moderators: cheepaxes, VintAxe, Phizix

by straycat113 » Sat May 08, 2010 6:24 pm

This question is more for someone that leans more to the collectors side of things. A friend of mine has a custom shop Peavey Wolfgang that is dead mint with a killer T-Black quilt top that he was looking to fetch $3,500. Now I have a pretty nice collection myself of these guitars and would really like to add it, heres the catch. He had swapped out the pups for DiMarzios sometime back and does not still have the original pups but he has a great pair of pups from a first year Quilt top Wolf that he put in, and here is his point. During the 8 years they made them there was only one pup ever used on every model of the guitar from CS, Standard and the Special, also because of that there is no way to tell what pups were in each guitar because they are all the same as that is the way Vanhalen wanted it and you were not allowed to even buy them seperate from the factory. Can someone think of a similar type situation and though I would not be buying the original pups that came with the guitar I am buying the only pups. So say 10 years from now is there anyway this could affect the value or does it make no difference at all.

Thanks Guys
straycat113

by theehman » Mon May 10, 2010 9:44 am

If they're the exact same pickups as the originals, I would just put them in and consider it all original.

I hope to someday do the same thing with my '58 ES-125 which now has Duncan P90s (not my doing).
Ron Neely II
The EH Man, All-Knowing Guru of Electro-Harmonix
Electro-Harmonix info: http://electroharmonix.vintageusaguitars.com
Home of RonSound effects: http://www.ronsound.com
fx schematics and repairs
theehman

by straycat113 » Tue May 11, 2010 10:30 pm

Thanks for the reply theeman as I think most of the guys here who are straight collectors must have a lazy finger as it is like pulling teeth to get a simple answer. I drop a question in here on collecting which I am green at and have to wait forever for an answer. On 14 other forums I am on, if someone asks about playing even if they just know 3 chords I help them out and give an answer..
straycat113

by johnnyb » Wed May 12, 2010 8:14 am

well you know. collecting is a touchy issue that involves a lot of personal preference. that particular guitar for that price, id want the original pickups that came with it, as its part of its inflated value. eddies design after all. now its been messed with, wires cut, new solder blobs etc.. why someone would swap them and not keep the originals baffles me, let alone swapping them at all. i wouldnt buy it, my opinion. unless it was for playing and not collecting.
johnnyb

Return to Vintage American Electric Guitars

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts