[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The VintAxe Guitar Forum • View topic - What guitar is this?

The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

What guitar is this?

Posts related to vintage guitars made in America or guitars produced by historically American companies

Moderators: cheepaxes, VintAxe, Phizix

by MATT » Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:26 pm

I've been trying for hours to figure out what the white guitar that joe perry plays in the "pink" video is. It appears at about 1:25 into the video on you tube. The headstock kinda looks like an airline but I can' tell for sure. This website seems to be home to some of the best qualified people to ask such a question. I really appreciate the help, its just one of those things that you notice and then it drives you crazy.
MATT

by VintAxe » Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:10 pm

Hey Matt,

You'll probably get more help if you add a link to the video to your post.

good luck
VintAxe
Site Admin

by MATT » Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:33 pm

Ya, I will. I just wasn't sure if that was cool, with restrictions and such.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLRLhV9U ... re=related

thanks everyone.....
MATT

by cheepaxes » Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:50 pm

It looks familiar. Maybe an Airline. Though in that video it could have been created on a computer. Sorry I can't ID it.

-Scott
cheepaxes

by Michael Ambrose » Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:30 pm

That there is my own personal holy grail... what I'd give to own one.

Its a National Studio 66, made in the early 60's.

That black plastic triangle? Yeah, thats the pickup.

Thing has class out the wazoo... probably thee single most elegant solid-body guitar ever designed, if you ask me.
Michael Ambrose

by MATT » Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:54 pm

I've never seen one before (I assume they are rare?)
Has to be one of the coolest-est guitars I think I've ever seen. Do they appear on the market very often?

-Matthew

P.S.

Thanks for the info, I would probably still be going off the deepend of google if not for this site and its members.
MATT

by Spud1950 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:53 pm

You don't see those for sale too often. They're not solid bodied. Like all the National/Supro Res O Glass guitars, they are semi hollow bodied. Res O Glass is a fiberglass like material. The bodies are in two pieces.The top and back are molded hollow shells.Inside the body is solid wood center block.
Spud1950

by Michael Ambrose » Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:41 am

Michael Ambrose

by MATT » Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:14 am

This was only temorarily helpful. Now my addiction to guitars is flairing up again.........off to ebay, craigslist, and kijiji I go!
MATT

by Michael Ambrose » Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:19 am

Michael Ambrose

by MATT » Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:40 pm

MATT

by VintAxe » Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:20 pm

I don't know how rare the Studio 66 is Matt but here is a picture of mine:

I do think your chances of finding a 66 through the sources you cite are pretty slim although it is possible one will turn up on eBay. If you are serious, I think you need to resign yourself to the reality that you'll likely be required to pay retail ($950 - $1,200) for this instrument and start working with dealers.

Kummers Vintage always seems to have a few Nationals on hand. You might want to consider contacting them and others to let them know what you are looking for (see Vintage Guitar Dealers under Links). Most dealers keep Want Lists and will notify you if they find the instrument you seek.

VintAxe
Site Admin

by MATT » Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:50 pm

Thanks for the tips vintaxe, I will definately check out some vintage guitar shops in my area, and the ones you mentioned. I realize that I would end up paying around $1000 such a guitar and that I would have to shed some of my current collection, but I think it would be worth it to own such a cool guitar.
MATT

by VintAxe » Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:53 pm

Well, I don't know what you would be selling to acquire a Studio 66 Matt but I think they are a worthwhile investment. I can see a $1,000 66 today going for $2,500 - $3,000 8-10 years from now. I don't know about you, but my savings account isn't bringing in that type of return. With a guitar like this, you are not spending money, you are just tying up money.

Good luck with your search
VintAxe
Site Admin

by MATT » Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:10 pm

Ya, i completely aggree. People think that I must spend a fortune on all the guitars I have come to own but really in the years to come and as these guitars get more and more rare I will make money. Although our connection to guitars is far deeper than money, the idea of a return seems to help justify such purchases.

-Matt
MATT

Next

Return to Vintage American Electric Guitars

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts