The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

My Kay red devil is also missing the pickgard

Posts related to vintage guitars made in America or guitars produced by historically American companies

Moderators: cheepaxes, VintAxe, Phizix

by knorm65 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:46 pm

I have a Kay red devil that I finnaly found a bridge for. Now i noticed it dosent have a pickgaurd. Anyone know how I go about getting one made or even one that Is similer enough to work
knorm65

by cheepaxes » Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:47 pm

When I wanted a pickguard for a Harmony Rocket I was working on I bought a generic Les Paul type with the bracket. I had to drill a new hole through the pickguard for the screw to go through into the bracket, because it didn't match the location of the predrilled-for-a-Les-Paul hole. Then I needed to cover up the predrilled hole, which I did by cutting a little circle of electrical tape and putting it over the hole. Cheesy? Maybe. Effective? It works for me.

http://www.scottmcknight.com/BlackRocket1.JPG

http://www.scottmcknight.com/BlackRocket2.JPG

http://www.scottmcknight.com/BlackRocket3.JPG

Scott
cheepaxes

by cheepaxes » Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:00 pm

Is the picture of yours backward, or is that a left-handed guitar?
cheepaxes

by knorm65 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:13 pm

Haha the pic of my guitar was from a webcam designed to make it look like a mirror. It was the only camera I could find lol. What I've done is made an outline on peice of paper of the pick guard. I think I'm going to email the guy who made my srv custom strat, and see if he could make it.
knorm65

by Michael Ambrose » Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:25 pm

T&R Pickguards (again, on Ebay) make terrific reproductions, and they make one for this exact model. Just search for something like Kay Pickguard and they'll be the ones with fifty repros. They do absolutely top notch work.

(I have a 3pu Kleenex-pickup version of this, and they actually made a reproduction translucent tortoise pickguard for it! Seriously, top notch.)
Michael Ambrose

by knorm65 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:26 pm

Thanks you've been a huge help. As soon as I get my stuff it's time for restoration. Considering it's been in a shed for 15 yrs it needs a lot of work. Amazingly despite the exstensive corrosion, and oxidation the electronics sound great!!!!!!!!
knorm65

Return to Vintage American Electric Guitars

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts