[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The VintAxe Guitar Forum • View topic - Not vintage, but vintage-styled... and all American...

The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

Not vintage, but vintage-styled... and all American...

Posts related to vintage guitars made in America or guitars produced by historically American companies

Moderators: cheepaxes, VintAxe, Phizix

by Michael Ambrose » Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:43 pm

Are you really surprised?

I just COULD NOT RESIST...

I've always wanted a Map... but who can afford them? Real ones, at least... (Still kicking myself for passing on a shell-pink Metropolitan a few year ago!) The Eastwoods are great and all... and the Guitar Kits USA repros are definitely authentic-looking... but that Gold Sparkle is killing me!!!

Could not resist.

(Made by Astoria Guitars in Oregon... I'm assuming...)
Michael Ambrose

by cheepaxes » Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:40 pm

So that's from a kit, or you just got a body. What are you going to do for the rest of it?

-Scott
cheepaxes

by Spud1950 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:52 pm

Great looking body. The Astoria Guitar site doesn't show anyhing like it.Matter of fact,it doesn't show much of anything.

Spud1950

by VintAxe » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:09 pm

I'm a sucker for sparkles too Michael, happened when I saw my first red sparkle drum kit. Anxious to see what you do with this body.
VintAxe
Site Admin

by Michael Ambrose » Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:26 pm

You know, Steve, a red sparkle drum kit did it for me, too!!! It was a US Mercury kit, 20" kick, 12" tom, 14"x5" snare... I snatched it up for fifty bucks... two weeks later I got a matching Telestar red sparkle guitar!

The story behind this body is that it was made by a comparatively "younger" builder who recently passed away. The fella from Astoria Guitars is selling the remainder of the departed's pieces for the family. Really nice fella to work with, too.

So, here's what I'm thinking for this.

I've got an Eden LP-style neck that ought to fit perfectly.

I think I'll nab a pair of "Kessel" P-90 style pickups (the white ones with the Kleenex-style rings they use on their Tuxedo model) and a reproduction Valco tailpiece from Guitar Kits USA (the fellas who make NEW Res-O-Glass bodies).

For the bridge I've got a clear Lucite/Plexi/whatever Valco bridge base (the kind that once housed a pickup). I'd bought it to put on my Supro Pocket (which has the clear Plexi thumb rests), but I just haven't had the heart to cannibalize that pickup and risk ruining it. It WOULD be cool to have a piezo on this, I'll admit!.. but then I think I'm getting ahead of myself there. I'll probably just install a simple roller bridge.

Keep the aesthetics simple and clean; no pickguard, white knobs and Kluson white-button tuners (maybe Keystones) to go with the white pickups.

I'll have to cut a custom cavity cover for the back, as the builder made "swiss cheese" out of it just like the old wood-bodied Valco pieces.

By the way, if any of you guys have had the chance to play the Tuxedo P90s or have bought anything from G.K. USA, I would LOVE to hear your input... or ANY thoughts on this build for that matter!
Michael Ambrose

by johnnyb » Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:00 pm

yeah, more speed boat sparkle. gold is great, red is better.
johnnyb

by VintAxe » Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:43 pm

Sounds like a cool build Michael, please share pictures when you're done.

My exposure to red sparkle came in 7th grade. I'd been into guitar for about a year and was starting to appreciate music big time. Went to a "sock hop" in the junior high gym where a band with the best drummer in school was playing. He was deemed the best drummer in school cause he could play the drum solo in Wipe Out :shock:

He had a red sparkle kit and they had a couple of strobe lights to make things even more interesting. I spent most of the night working up the courage to ask a girl I liked to dance. Finally got the nerve up for a slow dance. Emotion was high and I imprinted on those red sparkle drums; loved sparkle every since.

My current drummer has a blue sparkle kit; I'm man enough to say it, I love him, or maybe he just reminds me of the girl in 7th grade, no I think I love him. :wink:

Good luck with the project
VintAxe
Site Admin

by eddie mack » Sat Sep 11, 2010 1:06 am

eddie mack

Return to Vintage American Electric Guitars

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts