[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The VintAxe Guitar Forum • View topic - What is it?

The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

What is it?

Posts related to vintage guitars made in America or guitars produced by historically American companies

Moderators: cheepaxes, VintAxe, Phizix

by tucjuke » Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:21 am

This is me playing the best sounding guitar I have ever owned for slide. I purchased it in 1980 w/missing logo. The body is mahogany. Based on the components and the serial# G16635, I'm pretty sure that it was made by Valco around 1964. The components and shape are consistent with Airlines that I have seen but I have never seen them in this exact configuration. I would like to replace the Logo but I want it to be correct. Any thoughts or opinions would be welcome.

Johnny Strasser
tucjuke

by Michael Ambrose » Sat Aug 28, 2010 12:16 pm

Oh yeah, you've got yourself the quintessential Airline... pretty standard for the mid 60's but with a wood body instead of Res-O-Glas.

You can get a reproduction raised headstock emblem from Banana Guitar on ebay... I've gotten a few of their logos, and they're pretty good.

In terms of the exact configuration... you've definitely got a modified bridge. Looks like a TOM, but those big blocky ones Gibson was using in the 70's.

These originally came with a rosewood bridge fitted to this funky screw-based apparatus. (I've got an extra one if you want to go back to stock.)

Nevertheless... GREAT guitar!! And man, you probably got it for a STEAL back then!!
Michael Ambrose

by tucjuke » Sat Aug 28, 2010 1:04 pm

Thanks, I think it might be an Airline Super, but I have yet to see one with two pickups. I got the ax for less than $100. Yeah, I replaced the bridge with a Badass. The original rosewood just didn't cut it. I know the purists will bitch but now the guitar is dead nuts in tune and the sustain is mind boggling! By the way the plastic piece that covers the headstock is broken and I need the second from the nut neck inlay. Any Idea where I might find them? I guess I could make them out of raw stock but it would be nice to find the real deal. Thanks for responding.
Johnny Strasser
tucjuke

Return to Vintage American Electric Guitars

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts