[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The VintAxe Guitar Forum • View topic - Another old airline electric

The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

Another old airline electric

Posts related to vintage guitars made in America or guitars produced by historically American companies

Moderators: cheepaxes, VintAxe, Phizix

by fasttruck93l » Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:04 pm

Wondering what year it is. I got it from my grandpa last year and he's had it for many years. I know that kay made it and it was sold by wards but wanting more info too.
fasttruck93l

by Mgeek » Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:47 am

Mgeek

by fasttruck93l » Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:46 am

ImageImageImage
fasttruck93l

by Spud1950 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:00 pm

Can't find that exact model in either the Kay or Wards catalogs in the VintAxe collection, but there are similar looking ones
having the same body,neck and bridge,but with different tailpieces,markers on the fret board and pickup. That headstock shape first appears on some models in the 1959 catalog. Just by the general look of it, I'd have to guess 1959 to mid 1960s. It's low level model, similar models having original selling prices of around $40-$50.
Spud1950

by fasttruck93l » Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:14 am

I didn't know it was that old. I was thinking mid 60s to 70s. Cool. I did see one in google images that wasn't electric and didn't have the cutaway but close to the same.
fasttruck93l

by Michael Ambrose » Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:41 pm

Definitely pre-1960... there was only a short window of time in which they were using that headstock shape with no truss-rod (on their bolt-ons).

That pickup... I've only seen one or two other Airlines with it... one high-end model was stock... but on a low-end model? hmmmmmm...
Michael Ambrose

by fasttruck93l » Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:02 am

The pickup is not the original. Somebody did a really crappy job putting a different one in. I think that they made the hole bigger and made different screw holes through the face of the guitar. It doesn't look very good to me anyways.
fasttruck93l

by François » Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:11 am

To me it looks like the model 7226 in the 1962,1963,1964,1965 Montgomery Wards catalogs. Missing its white pickguard of course. Pickup should be one of these "speedbump" model, made by Kay.
François

by Michael Ambrose » Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:03 pm

Michael Ambrose

by DeMontGuitars.com » Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:03 pm

I've only seen 'steel reinforced' on late 50's early 60's --actually i think i've seen them up to '67.
but this looks to be, what is commonly called, a kay speed demon, and an early one. The rounded cutaway is not seen as often as the sharp florentine.
It is too bad that that the original Dearmond (rowe industries) pickup is gone. those rock!

cool guitar, love them
DeMontGuitars.com

Return to Vintage American Electric Guitars

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts