[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The VintAxe Guitar Forum • View topic - Vintage Cortez SG Style 6/12 Doubleneck Guitar

The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

Vintage Cortez SG Style 6/12 Doubleneck Guitar

Posts related to vintage guitars made in America or guitars produced by historically American companies

Moderators: cheepaxes, VintAxe, Phizix

by mancavedave » Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:08 pm

I have owned a Cortez SG Style 6/12 Doubleneck Guitar since 1982. It is in the classic Burgundy color and almost identical to the Gibson played by Jimmy Page. It is in very good condition and I have the original case. I have exhausted myself trying to find historical information on this guitar and am hoping someone out there will have some info to share.
I have been told that these were made in Japan in 1977, in small numbers,distributed to the UK, and a pet project of Jack Westheimer of Cort guitars. Also that they have fetched up to $15K and highly collectible. Any
reliable info will be greatly appreciated.
mancavedave

by Spud1950 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:30 pm

American company, guitars made in Japan. "Japanese guitars distributed in US by Westheimer Musical Industries, Chicago Illinois. [Source: Blue Book of Electric Guitars 9th Ed]"

This is part of an article about Jack Westheimer's company which tells of his Cortez branded guitars.

"Cort(ez)
Teisco del Rey and Kingston were not the only brand names associated with Jack Westheimer. Another, which would have added significance today, was Cortez. Cortez would be important because it's from that moniker that today's Cort brand derived, in abbreviated form.

The Cortez brand name dates bact to around '60, and the beginning of our tale. The Cortez brand was given (by Westheimer) to a line of good-quality Martin-style dreadnoughts manufactured in Japan by the Hiyashi (or Yashi?) factory. Westheimer dispatched some of his staff to visit the factory and work with them to develop the product, resulting in Cortez acoustic guitars. Remember, guitars were still called Spanish guitars in those days, an appellation that has fallen by the wayside; hence, the "Spanish" names like Cortez and del Rey. According to Westheimer, Hiyashi was one of the top Japanese acoustic factories, and it was responsible for many Cortez and Emperador acoustics. Hiyashi was bought out by Pearl sometime in the early '70s and that marked the end of its glory days.

Again, no reference materials are available to document Cortez guitars in detail.

Westheimer recalls one acoustic/electric model made by Hiyashi carrying his Emperador brand that was actually played by the Everly Brothers. Fewer than 180 of those guitars were imported because they just didn't catch on. One day, the Everly Brothers' manager called Westheimer to see if any more could be obtained because the Everly's guitars had run into repair problems. Westheimer was able to locate several examples in various warehouses and got them to the crooners. He still gets requests for that guitar.

Most Cortez guitars have fallen into a "copy" vein - Strats and Les Pauls. The latter came in both bolt-neck and set-neck versions, many made by Matsumoku, the factory responsible for many of the better Aria guitars, as well as the Electra, Westone, Univox, and Westbury brands. Matsumoku also made sewing machines, and was purchased by Singer in 1987, after which the guitarmaking operation was closed.

There are also some Cortez copies of the Gibson ES-175 that appear to be similar to Japanese-made Venturas of the time.

Cortez guitars were always made in Japan, never in Korea. The Cortez brand remained active at least until '86, although it may have lingered another year or two."

I find it extremely hard to believe that any Cortez branded guitar would fetch $15,000 or even $1500.
Spud1950

by mancavedave » Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:03 pm

Hey Spud, Thanx for the info. I'll be purchasing the Bluebook soon.
mancavedave

by swept57 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:00 pm

Did you ever find anything more about your Cortez SG style doubleneck? I was at a local music shop and one showed up on trade. It looked to be all original, minor fret wear, and with hardly any nicks or dings. It played nice, so I bought it for $400. All I have been able to find is basically the info posted above. I did run across a link that refered to a 1977 Cortez mahogany doubleneck that sold for $6000. There was no picture but I am pretty sure it was not this model. Dave
swept57

by mancavedave » Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:59 pm

Hey Dave, Could you send me the link about the $6,000 doubleneck. I had seen it before but cannot find it now. Also, could you send me a photo of yours to mancavedave@gmail.com? I'll send a photo of mine.
I believe it is the same model as mine & the $6000 one. I talked with a guy
in LA some time ago, that told me that there were less than 100 of these made & that they were only exported to the UK. Also said that this was the only double neck Cortez ever made.
I'm sure you'll agree with me that this is one Excellant made guitar!! Plays
& Sounds as good, if not better than the Gibson SG Double, & is a notch above the Epiphones. Seems heavier than the Gibson & Epiphone, & I believe it is all solid mahogany. Let's stay in touch on this!!
Best Regards,
Dave
mancavedave

by mrblanche » Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:40 am

Here's one for $600.

mrblanche

by swept57 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:16 am

I have found pictures on the web of three Cortez double neck SGs. One is the one referenced above which is described as made by Epicphone (sp?) in the UK. That guitar is very different then mine in that it has set necks whereas mine has bolt-ons with the "Steel Adjustable Neck, Made in Japan" neckplates. There are other significant differences as well, such as the shaping on the back side of the neck by the headstock and the shape of the control cavity. Mine also has a "logo" in the center of the headstock that is not on the one referenced above. Of the other two I have pictures of, one has set-necks and the other has bolt-ons and looks exactly like mine. Dave, does yours have set or bolt-on necks? I'll post up some pics later.

The $6000 Cortez is at the site below, but just 'cause it says it sold and a $6000 price is listed, don't mean that is what really happened. I thought Cortez also made an acoustic double neck.

http://www.guitar-museum.com/guitar-569 ... Doubleneck

Description:
"According to Jack Westheimer, this is number 4 of less than 200 of this Guitar (100 in the US). It is in perfect condition and comes with an original hard shell case. It originally listed for $550 and is worth well over $10,000 (12-15 K Range). Mr Westheimer is at Extension 15 at what is now Cort Guitars in IL if you want to verify this."
swept57

by swept57 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:03 pm

Here are some pictures of the two different styles. The one on the left is mine. The one on the right is the one for sale per the link above. These are very different guitars and were probably manufactured by different companies. Sure would like to know the history of both styles.

The last picture shows how the body on mine was constructed. It looks like two thick pieces of mahogany seperated by a thin layer of some other wood in the center.

Dave

swept57

Return to Vintage American Electric Guitars

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts