[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The VintAxe Guitar Forum • View topic - My Supro

The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

My Supro

Posts related to vintage guitars made in America or guitars produced by historically American companies

Moderators: cheepaxes, VintAxe, Phizix

by Supro » Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:55 am

Hello everyone, my name is Maxim and I am from Vancouver British Columbia.
I bought this supro years ago, and it was love at first strum. Thing is, I've yet to come across one exactly like mine, and was wondering if there is any knowledge amongst you fine folk about it.
Here are some photos...
I apologize for the scratchyness of the photos of the shots.
Thanks a bunch!

Image[/img]
Supro

by Supro » Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:21 am

oh and the id# on it is T74530
Supro

by Spud1950 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:53 pm

According to this,your Supro dates to 1961.

As to what model it is,I checked for your guitar in the Supro catalogs in the VintAxe collection, but it doesn't appear. Valco was the parent company of the Supro brand, as well as the National and Oahu branded guitars. A net search of "Valco made guitars" may lead to a model indentification.
Spud1950

by VintAxe » Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:53 pm

Most of the Valco guitars in this style were badged Airline and sold through Montgomery Ward in the US. Valco must have badged the ones they sent to Canada Supro since they were being sold through a different department store.

Your Supro is pictured in the 1961 Ward's catalog with an Airline badge on it. I wonder if Eaton's was the distributor in Canada?
VintAxe
Site Admin

by Spud1950 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:02 pm

Aha!Vintaxe has jogged my memory. Thought it looked familar, but the Supro brand on it was throwing me off. It is indeed the Supro version of a Ward's, Valco made Airline Town and Country. Never seen one with the Supro brand on the headstock before. Here's one for sale on eBay,although I can't say if the asking asking price is realistic or not.

Anyway,you've got a really cool guitar :D

Eastwood guitars makes a repro based on the Town and Country.Here's their take on it.

Also found this 1958 version.

Spud1950

by Supro » Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:47 am

Wow thanks for the info you guys, you're a great help. That eastwood guitar is really sharp looking!
Other than a few scuffs from 50 years of healthy aging, she sounds perfect and stays in tune perfectly. Never had any problems with this guitar, and I've owned it for about 7 years now. Funny I know so little about it except I did know the year because I had found that serial number chart awhile ago, then couldn't find it again.

I wonder why these guitars are so seldomly seen, and why there is so little known about them...
Supro

by Supro » Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:50 am

And spud, I thank you for your kind words, she is a really "cool" guitar. Her name is Valerie. or Val, if you know her well enough :P
Supro

by Spud1950 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:05 am

Found this 1961 3 pickup version with a Bigsby for sale. Eastwood is also offers a Bigsby equipped Deluxe model.

Did a lot of searching, but I can't find another Supro branded, Airline Town and Country style guitar anywhere on the net.
Spud1950

by guitarist09 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:06 am

That is one beautiful Supro man!

Thank you for posting this! :)
guitarist09

Return to Vintage American Electric Guitars

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts