[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The VintAxe Guitar Forum • View topic - Think this is a good trade?

The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

Think this is a good trade?

Posts related to vintage guitars made in America or guitars produced by historically American companies

Moderators: cheepaxes, VintAxe, Phizix

by Onetoomany » Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:00 pm

I can trade my brand new gibson les paul 60's tribute goldtop with p90's for a 1975 Gibson Maurauder with OHSC.

The gibson maurauder is the Ebony board with dot inlays and has the three way toggle switch, not the blend knob found on the later maurauders. It has the clear glass covered humbucker and single coil that I guess bill lawrence designed.

The maurauder is in pretty good shape with only slight body dings and just very normal to minimal wear on the guitar. I'd say an 7.5 out of 10

This is a very tough decision for me but I do have 2 of the of 60's tributes and I only need one. Would this be a trade that would be in my best interest?

The value for the maurauder seems to be all over the place. Some people have bought them for around 800 shipped. I have also read that this guitar is gaining value every year and should be worth around 1000 according to one gibson guitar collector.
Onetoomany

by VintAxe » Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:14 pm

Hey Onetoomany

Ultimately, this is probably a tug of war between a financial decision and an emotional decision.

Financially, the Maurauder is probably valued around $800-$900 today, don't know about the $1,000, all it takes is for one individual to pay that price and it becomes the new standard. I don't know what you paid for the Les Paul. The Maurauder was a low end Gibson experiment designed to infringe on the single coil market; it wasn't successful and didn't last long. I think it is difficult to associate one popular player with the Maurauder. The appreciation on this guitar is likely very limited.

A Les Paul with P-90s, even a new reissue, strikes me as having a huge market compared to the Maurauder. Most everyone loves a goldtop. Again, I don't know what you have invested on the LP so I can't make a heads up comparison.

It might go against common sense but the LP might appreciate more than the Maurauder over 10 years. Of course, if you "want" a Maurauder, that's when emotion wins over economics. :wink:
VintAxe
Site Admin

by Spud1950 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:45 pm

The Gibson Marauder, the S-1, the Ripper bass and other oddball Gibson models of that era were not popular in their day and are not very desirable today.From what I've seen in todays market $800-$900 is really pushing it as far selling prices. Monetarily, your Les Paul is a far better value. Then again, if you you really like the way Marauder sounds and and plays, it's just a matter of personal choice as to whether it's a fair trade.
Spud1950

Return to Vintage American Electric Guitars

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts