[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The VintAxe Guitar Forum • View topic - Nabbed a new one... Silvertone 658

The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

Nabbed a new one... Silvertone 658

Posts related to vintage guitars made in America or guitars produced by historically American companies

Moderators: cheepaxes, VintAxe, Phizix

by Michael Ambrose » Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:27 pm

Michael Ambrose

by Michael Ambrose » Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:40 pm

Okay, fellas, weigh in.

This thing is pretty close to cherry. One or two little dings, and that it.

There is, however a nasty hump in the neck at the heel/12th fret, just at the fretboard extension, so thats a drag.

I just took one of my old surface-mount DeArmonds and made myself a wiring harness.

Now... to drill... or not to drill...
Michael Ambrose

by VintAxe » Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:25 pm

Hey Michael.

I know you are a skilled tinkerer and I respect that skill unconditionally. My basic philosophy is to let an instrument be what it was designed to be. In many cases expectations were not high so improvements are obvious to a trained eye like yours. However, I think history suggests that any modifications to an instrument reduces value even if the improvement improves functionality. Obviously, we are not gambling a bag of gold with your Silvertone. So, if you drill, value will likely be less value in the future than if you don't drill. On the other hand, if you want to improve functionality and don't care much about making a few more bucks on resale, I say drill away.

Keep us updated.
VintAxe
Site Admin

by Michael Ambrose » Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:02 pm

You know, Steve, I'd though about investment and all that blah... but man, the way I look at it, if I'm going to sell this piece eventually, its going to go to a like-minded guitarist who'll appreciate a hot rod.

So.... I went ahead and did it.

VERY simple, just a few holes... pulled a '61 DeArmond from the parts drawer, added a volume and tone pot, and threw on a pair of Silvertone Hi-Fi knobs just for looks. (I actually ordered two cream Dakaware knobs from Ebay). Replaced the bridge base with the bottom half of a metal bridge I took from an old Teisco. Kept the original pickguard, just added a rubber grommet so it would slightly exceed the height of the pickup.

VOILA!

Michael Ambrose

Return to Vintage American Electric Guitars

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts