The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

1974 Martin/Sigma SG Electric

Posts related to vintage guitars made in America or guitars produced by historically American companies

Moderators: cheepaxes, VintAxe, Phizix

by SuperBatDan » Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:36 pm

I have a very rare SBG2-6 (red SG) made by Martin/Sigma from 1974. It's in kept in it's original HSC and played very little. The original pick-ups have been removed and Seymour Duncan's (I believe) have been put in. It's in great shape for how old it is. It does have a few nicks on it, but overall I'd give it an 8 out of 10. I've searched online and asked many people from musicians to pro's about this, and no one has any info on it.
It plays like a dream and sounds even better!!!
Any info that I can get or how much it's worth would be awesome!! I would be willing to part with it if the offer is what I'm thinking it's worth.
ANY HELP IS GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!

SuperBatDan

by VintAxe » Sat Dec 17, 2011 7:37 pm

Hey Dan.

You are right that this Sigma is pretty rare, Martin never had much luck selling solid body guitars. I wouldn't over value the Martin connection since all they did was import, set up and distribute the guitars. At the end of the day, Sigma is an early 70's Japanese SG copy comparable to a Tokai or Greco from the same era. In fact, I've seen it suggested that Tokai built Sigma but I have no firm evidence to support that claim.

In terms of value, it is probably worth what Tokai and Greco SG's from the same era are worth. The only bump in value comes with finding the guy that is specifically searching for a 1974 Sigma model SBG2-6 SG. Given the rarity of the model, you could probably get a premium price from that guy.

The challenge is finding that guy. You have made a start but getting your guitar listed on a Google search with your post on the Forum.
VintAxe
Site Admin

Return to Vintage American Electric Guitars

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts