[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The VintAxe Guitar Forum • View topic - Advice for a vintage newbie

The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

Advice for a vintage newbie

Posts related to vintage guitars made in America or guitars produced by historically American companies

Moderators: cheepaxes, VintAxe, Phizix

by zootsuiter » Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:54 pm

I just became the owner of a 1951 Epiphone Zephyr Deluxe Regent. I am very torn about how to relate to this guitar. I am a player, and the player in me says, get some new pots, investigate getting the pickups remounted (they're slightly off line from the strings) and other things I would do with any non-vintage guitar to get the best sound and playability from it. Not that it's not great sounding and very playable -- it is, or I wouldn't have gotten it.

The erstwhile collector in me says, no don't touch a thing, anything you change diminishes its value. I should say it's already not a 100% authentic -- someone refinished it probably around 1960 -- but it certainly is mainly vintage and the refinish is so old that it's vintage itself.

Are there do's and don'ts here? Like, it's OK to mount a strap button on the back but it's not OK to put humbuckers in it? What are the things that collectors really don't want to see?

Any advice would be welcome.
Zootsuiter
Playing jazz, blues, and whatever else moves
zootsuiter

by VintAxe » Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:28 pm

Hey zootsuiter.

It looks to me like you have a good handle on the pros and cons of modifying vintage instruments. Any non-factory modification to a vintage instrument will hurt value, even if the modification improves playability. Collectors want "under the bed" instruments that have not been modified. Of course, players have a different agenda, they need instruments that are reliable and feel and sound the best that they can be.

Personally, I would leave it alone. If it isn't the right tool sell it and buy the right tool. If it meets your needs "as is" then play the heck out of it.
VintAxe
Site Admin

by BluesHawk » Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:24 pm

Cheers,

Doug
BluesHawk

by Mgeek » Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:57 pm

cosine on leaving it alone.

If it sounds good, then altering the pickup alignment is getting into OCD territory, rather than making a significant improvement to the performance of the instrument
Mgeek

by BluesHawk » Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:36 am

Yeah, I wouldn't even add that strap button unless you use an existing hole and the new button can be easily removed.
Cheers,

Doug
BluesHawk

Return to Vintage American Electric Guitars

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts