[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The VintAxe Guitar Forum • View topic - Would You Refinish This Guitar?

The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

Would You Refinish This Guitar?

Posts related to vintage guitars made in America or guitars produced by historically American companies

Moderators: cheepaxes, VintAxe, Phizix

by erikzen » Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:42 am

I recently bought a Fender Coronado II. I was able to get it relatively cheaply because the back has been painted black with a paint that has a texture to it. It feels like plastic. The job itself doesn't seem like it was too bad. It's worn now but it was evenly and neatly applied. There is no black paint anywhere on the binding.

The rest of the guitar is in fair to good shape. Besides the back, the rest of the finish is nicked up. It looks like a guitar that has been played for most of its life. Still, the finish is in pretty good shape. Not too much fading or chipping. The hardware appears to be original. Electronics are all working. It's possible the pickguard might not be orignal. There is a mark underneath it, from what looks like some adhesive. It seems like something was removed and not very cleanly. Also, I have not seen a picture of a Coronado with a black pickguard, which this one is.

by , on Flickr

While I bought this guitar to play, I wouldn't want to further hurt the value of it. Since the back of the guitar is basically trashed, would it make sense to refinish it? I don't particularly mind the black, it's kind of cool in a way, but if I had my choice, that wouldn't be it. I'd like to either match the original (faded?) finish or give it some kind of contrasting finish. Will that further hurt value?

by , on Flickr

by , on Flickr

by , on Flickr
erikzen

by evilLordJuju » Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:37 pm

You do see quite a lot of parted out coronados on ebay. maybe i'd just get a body and swap all the components over?
|
evilLordJuju

by mike_C » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:35 am

nope.
mike_C

by mrblanche » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:23 am

I wonder what that paint is hiding!
mrblanche

by erikzen » Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:08 pm

erikzen

by erikzen » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:49 am

I had a thought. Maybe it's some kind of sound dampening paint. Someone could have painted it on to reduce feedback. Not a terribly great idea but it must have been done long before the guitar could be considered vintage.

A little back story, at least as I was told by the previous owner:

The guy I bought the guitar from, bought it in Australia, in 1985 when he was 15 years old. The guitar already had the black paint on the back at that point.

According to him, the guitar was used by Steve Kilbey of The Church for some solo Sydney shows in 2003. The previous owner's brother was friends with Kilbey and he asked to borrow the guitar.

Fast forward to the present and the previous owner moves from Sydney to Brooklyn, NY with guitar in tow and sells it to me.
erikzen

by Mgeek » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:22 am

Looks to me like the original paint is still under the black

I've had some success removing one layer of paint, whilst retaining the original before. Really high grade wet sanding and you can't really tell it was overpainted.
Mgeek

by guitarist09 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:48 pm

I would definitely refinish that. :?
guitarist09

by Phizix » Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:15 am

I'm guessing that paint is there to keep the back from getting scratched up by belt buckles?

Don't think you could hurt the value with a refin unless you completely ruined it. No collector would want a guitar with that black paint on the back.

If it were me I'd try to get that black off the back first, if it somehow gets screwed up its still just the back. The rest of the guitar looks too good to refin.
Last edited by Phizix on Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Phizix

by Mgeek » Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:07 pm

Mgeek

by BluesHawk » Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:38 pm

Cheers,

Doug
BluesHawk

by guitarcheology » Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:01 pm

I am willing to bet that black paint will come off with some mineral spirits and elbow grease without disturbing the underlying finish.
guitarcheology

Return to Vintage American Electric Guitars

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts