[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The VintAxe Guitar Forum • View topic - Help me figure out this 1966 Fender Duo Sonic II?

The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

Help me figure out this 1966 Fender Duo Sonic II?

Posts related to vintage guitars made in America or guitars produced by historically American companies

Moderators: cheepaxes, VintAxe, Phizix

by themouse1 » Thu May 31, 2012 7:13 am

Hey guys, I'm trying to figure out exactly what this thing is with respect to the body itself. I'm posting it for sale and want to be as honest in my description as I possibly can. In every picture I've ever seen of a Fender Duo Sonic, the body has a gentle radius to the edges. In addition to not being painted, this one has completely flat sides. Am I correct in assuming that this is a re-body? My main hesitation in coming to that conclusion is that the body seems to be cut a tad to precisely to be the work of a home workshop and I didnt think that this particular model was popular enough to warrant someone going through the trouble of having it re-bodied by a professional. So I'm stumped. Doesnt appear to be any extra routing done to the body which I would expect if this was the body of a different maker/model that someone adapted to accept the layout of duo sonic parts. All of the dates on the parts correctly correlate with the guitar's serial number. Any informed speculation would be welcome. Here are some pics of the guitar.

themouse1

by Spud1950 » Thu May 31, 2012 2:47 pm

That's the original body,refinished.It's pretty obvious to me that in removing the original finish someone sanded it down way too much resulting in the loss of the edge radius and the flattening of the sides. The collector value has been severely damaged. The only way to restore the original collector value would be to replace the body with a another actual vintage body in correct condition.
Spud1950

by themouse1 » Thu May 31, 2012 4:24 pm

Thanks for the info!
themouse1

by Mgeek » Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:12 pm

Mgeek

by BluesHawk » Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:54 pm

Cheers,

Doug
BluesHawk

Return to Vintage American Electric Guitars

• View new posts