[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The VintAxe Guitar Forum • View topic - 1965 Mustang: advice, please

The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

1965 Mustang: advice, please

Posts related to vintage guitars made in America or guitars produced by historically American companies

Moderators: cheepaxes, VintAxe, Phizix

by BluesHawk » Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:46 am

Before I take my '65 Mustang to a luthier who knows vintage, can someone help me be a better-educated consumer?

Just over the past few days I was experimenting with a percussive technique, finishing some tunes with sustain while using my right-hand knuckles to tap on the body just behind the bridge. Not sayin this has caused a problem; could be pure coincidence.

But last night I notice the bridge pickup is about half the volume of the neck pup. Tested it through two different amps. Bridge half the guts of the neck... :(

These are the original pups and have never needed any repairs (as best as I know the provenance, and I do trust the vintage dealer who sold it to me). I'm guessing one possibility might be a break somewhere in the 46-year-old winding.

What else should I be considering before I take it to an expert?

Thanks,
Cheers,

Doug
BluesHawk

by cheepaxes » Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:14 pm

Don't the Mustangs have slider switches to turn pickups on/off? Those things are notoriously flakey. If I had your problem that's the first place I'd look. Try sliding the switch(es) back and forth to see whether the friction cleans contacts. And/or open the guitar up and spritz a little Caig De-Oxit into the switch.

-Scott
cheepaxes

by BluesHawk » Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:47 am

Good one, Scott. Didn't even think about those slider switches. :roll: ... Thanks.
Cheers,

Doug
BluesHawk

Return to Vintage American Electric Guitars

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts