[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The VintAxe Guitar Forum • View topic - Sears Silvertone branded Kay

The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

Sears Silvertone branded Kay

Posts related to vintage guitars made in America or guitars produced by historically American companies

Moderators: cheepaxes, VintAxe, Phizix

by timesman » Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:26 pm

I have inherited my late father-in-law's 1960's Sears Canada Silvertone archtop semi-acoustic electric guitar. Not too sure of the actual age of the machine, however we do have family pictures of it from the 1968 period, so I know it is older than that. From what I have been able to discover, this guitar is a Kay built model for Sears. It was also sold as the Kay Speed Demon, and as a Truetone model as well. From photos of these other models, I can say for sure it is the exact same guitar. Mine is missing the white pick guard, and the original bone nut at the top end of the fret board. I'm not sure if the tuner bushings are original ..one is missing ...or if it even originally had tuner bushings. The Kluson gang tuners are original, as is the adjustable bridge and tone and volume knobs. The bakelite wing knob says "Daka Ware, Chicago" on the back of it. And the front strap knob has a socket head (Robertson) screw in it ....pretty sure that's not original. Everything else is as you see it. It is solid not coming apart anywhere ...it has several chips and dings, showing its age and heavy use. (my father in law played in a weekend dance band back in the day, as a result this guitar has seen many a back seat, or back window shelf!). With strings on, it plays fine ...one of the volume and tone pots crackle a bit, but still work, however the tuners are finicky and it needs frequent re-tuning. There is a stamp P-5 visible through the f-hole. If anyone can provide more actual date of manufacture info, and tips for preservation / refurbishment, or estimates of current value, I would greatly appreciate it! Thanks for reading. I've posted some photos here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/timesman/
timesman

by Spud1950 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:39 pm

Silvertone model 1445, available from 1961-1963.

In it's present condition, $200-$250 would be a fair price. As far as refurbishing it, just do what is needed to have it play and stay in tune properly. Not the kind of guitar that justifies putting any serious money into. String it up and enjoy it for what it is.
Spud1950

by timesman » Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:28 pm

Thanks for the reply ...however, still a bit confused. The link you provided that you say identifies my guitar as Silvertone 57G 1445L shows a natural finished Silvertone, without an f-hole, and with and without a pickguard. The pickguard shown is very different than the pickguard that I know (from old photos) belongs with my guitar. And it shows the black sunburst guitar that is identified as a Kay Speed Demon ...but again it is a bit off: the pickguard is wrong (see the Kay catalogue page I've added to the photo link). I suppose this black sunburst model may have been refurbed with the wrong pick guard and tail piece. I've also uploaded a photo from the mid-1960's show the guitar when it was new ...with the original pick guard, and black knobs ...while the shot on the Silvertone World link shows white knobs. Puzzling.

So ...I question the ID of my guitar as a 57G 1445L. Any idea what the significance of the P-5 stamp is???
timesman

by VintAxe » Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:47 pm

Hi timesman:

From what I see all the parts on your Kay look original and all the parts you need are reproduced. A luthier can recut a bone nut for you. Seems like that costs around $35-$40 but it's been awhile since I've had that done so this is just a ballpark figure. Your crackling pots can be fixed with a shot of De Oxit but if you take the guitar to a luthier have him take care of the pots for you.

Here is a guy that reproduces Kay pickguards. He has 3-4 different styles for the Speed Demon so check his other listings to see your options. There is also a link to the bracket you will need to mount the pickguard

Pickguard:

Pickguard bracket:

The guitar did use tuner bushings and chances are yours are original. Here are the correct reproductions. If the new bushing doesn't quite match, install all the reproduction bushings and sell the originals to recoup some of your investment. Original bushings can be hard to come by and some restorers would be interested in your incomplete set since most guitars are only missing 1-2 like you.

Tuner Bushings:
VintAxe
Site Admin

by timesman » Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:28 pm

Thanks for the very helpful post. I have some spray potentiometer cleaner for cleaning the pots on vintage radios, and it appears to be the same as the DeOxit stuff you recommended, so I'll give that a try. I've sent a note to the pick guard guy to see if he will sell me an "unbranded" one, as the guard on my Silvertone doesn't have any markings.. and found the mounting bracket online for $2.79 and free shipping (really!!!) http://www.ebay.ca/itm/150972228215?ssP ... 230wt_1162 ...also, the tuner bushings you referred me to are apparently too small for the Kluson tuners ....need to be quarter-inch size, so I found those online as well, for considerably less $$: http://www.ebay.com/itm/6pc-Nickel-Plat ... 27c65c4bea

Also found a local luthier who will sell me a blank bone nut for $5.95. All of the pre-made ones I've tracked down are way to short ...these guitars need the nut to be about 11mm high, and the highest I could find was about 8mm.

Can anyone suggest a suitable lacquer or paint to touch up the chips?

Also ...anyone else with clearer identity info?

I'll post additional pics when I get some of the work done.
timesman

by VintAxe » Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:27 pm

timesman, I suggest you allow the guitar to be what it is. If it has had a hard life that results in chips etc. then leave it that way. Honest wear tells the history of the instrument; if your father in law threw it in the back of a car without a case then let the guitar testify to that experience. Don't put makeup on grandma. :)
VintAxe
Site Admin

by timesman » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:52 am

True enough ...I suppose there was a time when the "beat up" look was in style (grunge ??). And, it really isn't in that bad condition ...I've seen other 50-year-olds that look a lot worse!!! By the way ....grandma is 89!!!
timesman

Return to Vintage American Electric Guitars

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts