[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The VintAxe Guitar Forum • View topic - Cole Tremolo, Kensington, MD. What's the story?

The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

Cole Tremolo, Kensington, MD. What's the story?

Posts related to vintage guitars made in America or guitars produced by historically American companies

Moderators: cheepaxes, VintAxe, Phizix

by RTZ » Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:31 pm

I'm curious if anyone knows the story on Cole tremolos. I'm having a custom guitar built and am toying with the idea of using some obscure tremolo. I came across a few of these "Cole" brand ones that look kind of cool. No routing required either.

Found these patents on them...Scroll down and you can see the drawings.

69' issue of Guitar Player reviews it but I can't read it with out buying it.

Advertisement for an arch top version of it.

I'd just love to know the history on them, were they aftermarket parts or was Cole a guitar builder as well. Can't find anything in my searches of it.
Last edited by RTZ on Wed Oct 21, 2015 11:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
RTZ

by cheepaxes » Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:40 pm

I was just in Kensington two days ago. I've lived in the area 55 years and never heard of them. The area is not a hotbed of guitar manufacturing, although Microfrets guitars were made not far away in Frederick, MD in the '60s and '70s, and Kapa guitars were made in Edmonston, MD in the '60s.

-Scott
cheepaxes

by RTZ » Wed May 01, 2013 8:19 pm

Last edited by RTZ on Wed Oct 21, 2015 11:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.
RTZ

by RTZ » Wed May 01, 2013 8:44 pm

Quick little reply...it would seem our Harry G. Cole was a bit of an inventor!

Patents for disposable mop heads and two for tremolos with the previously listed Kensington, MD address listed and two more for some kind of bottle (baby?) and a "baby bed structure" with the following address listed...2613 Arvin St, Wheaton, MD 20902 . Which of course is a house.

I have a feeling Mr. Cole might have been expecting, around 1957. 1966 made his life easier with disposable mops and was finally able to get back to guitars in 67'. :lol: :lol:

His Arvin home, presumably. Not a bad looking one at that!

Anyways, just had to pass that along!
Last edited by RTZ on Wed Oct 21, 2015 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RTZ

by RTZ » Mon May 06, 2013 9:56 pm

So by coincidence, after buying the Cole Tremolo ad off eBay the other night I went back and did a quick search again. Lo and behold there was another Cole tremolo for sale, half the price I paid for the solid body version of it. I couldn't pass up getting this other version that came with all the paper work and box! Soon I'll have super high res pictures of both and will be starting a FaceBook fan page shortly there after to get the word out on them and hopefully gain some more info on them!

Here's a little riddle for you, tell me what it is, that with out it, you're only playing half a guitar, but with it you're playing two. Give up?.
It's a Cole!

I can now, finally, play a WHOLE guitar! :lol:
RTZ

Return to Vintage American Electric Guitars

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts