The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

Airline? National? Please help identify this guitar!

Posts related to vintage guitars made in America or guitars produced by historically American companies

Moderators: cheepaxes, VintAxe, Phizix

by johnieappel » Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:50 pm

Hi there, I 'm hoping some of you might be able to help me identify this guitar. It almost looks home made, but it is not. Maybe an attempt at refurbishing it? Who knows. I got it at a yard sale for a dollar. It looks like an Eastwood Airline but does not have the raised top.The back of the neck looks like it was sanded down & clear poly applied. The head stock is painted white.Body looks repainted as well. It does not have original tuners (they are fender) and the bridge / tailpiece is missing. No serial numbers anywhere. Check out the photos, let me know your thoughts!
Cheers, John
Attachments
IMG_1606.JPG
IMG_1607.JPG
IMG_1608.JPG
IMG_1609.JPG
IMG_1610.JPG
johnieappel

by Phizix » Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:09 pm

The pickups and pickguard look teisco for sure.

The headstock looks like an airline/national with the "gumby" style headstock, but the fretboard and inlays look teisco, Almost as if they put a teisco fretboard over a different neck...

The body appears to be homemade, seems like they were trying to copy the look of a national fiberglass body.
Phizix

by VintAxe » Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:52 pm

Yeah, definitely a homemade Frankenstein. I agree with with all of Phizix's observations. For a dollar, you did OK even if it is not a Valco build :wink:

No one will want the neck or body but you probably have $50-$75 worth of Teisco/Fender hardware there. The other option is to buy a bridge and tailpiece and play the heck out of it !!
VintAxe
Site Admin

Return to Vintage American Electric Guitars

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts