[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The VintAxe Guitar Forum • View topic - Dont laugh, but I need to find a Sears guitar

The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

Dont laugh, but I need to find a Sears guitar

Posts related to vintage guitars made in America or guitars produced by historically American companies

Moderators: cheepaxes, VintAxe, Phizix

by Musicman72 » Tue May 01, 2007 10:15 pm

My very first electric guitar was a star shaped electric my parents got me from Sears. But I have NO clue who made it. I got it in the mid 80's. It looked alot like the Charvel star shaped guitar, but with more of a point on the tips, and all the edges of the guitar were bevelled. It had a dark redish brown burst that faded into an orangish-redish color in the center. Two humbuckers, three volume/tone knobs (If I remember correctly) and had a pointed headstock. Gold hardware. No name on it anywhere, but I believe it was made in Korea. I emailed people on Ebay that are selling old Sears catalogs, and have a guy with one from 1986 that is sending me digital pics tomorrow, so we'll see.

I know its dumb to be so anxious about it, but it was my first guitar, and I'd like to find a luthier who could build one from a picture, basically. But of course I'd try to update it a tad bit...Floyd Rose or string through the body..but thats just me :)

If anyone has ANY clue what I'm talking about, and know who originally made guitars for Sears in the 80s, I'd appreciate it.
Musicman72

by VintAxe » Sat May 05, 2007 9:42 am

Hi Musicman72,

Looks to me like the Sears catalog is your best bet for getting an ID on your guitar. Unfortunately, the only Sears catalogs I own are from the 50's and 60's.

I think I remember reading that Sears Korean imports in the mid 1980's were comming out of the same factory that was producing Hondo's, but I wouldn't swear to it.

Post a picture if your catalog guy comes through, I'd like to see what you had. sb
VintAxe
Site Admin

by Musicman72 » Sat May 05, 2007 2:21 pm

I've been emailing anyone with a Sears catalog for sale on Ebay, and so far nothing. I'm still trying though
Musicman72

by Musicman72 » Mon May 14, 2007 10:13 pm

No luck with ANY of the catalogs...but I looked around alot on Warmoth.com, and could build one that was roughly about the same shape and such. May do that eventually, but the hard part will be paint. Kinda like a dark cherry burst into an orange-ish red...oh well. Building my own can be fun, and can get it painted any way I'd like :wink:
Musicman72

by jedistar » Sun Jun 10, 2007 4:50 pm

Some info on Sears catalogs, where to find etc is here...

http://www.searsarchives.com/catalogs/
jedistar

by kosmo kramer » Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:35 pm

If it was a 5-pointed star, and had a locking tremolo (cheap Kahler knock off), then it was likely the Cort Star. Also marketed with the brand name of either Magnum or MX.

I have one and can send you a pic. PM your email, I do not have an account setup for image loading and all of that jazz!
kosmo kramer

by jamesthomason » Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:56 pm

Don't worry about it man. It is totally natural for people to keep their first guitars even if it was a Squier or a Sears in your case. I do not know of a Sears catalog but I will keep you posted if I find anything.
jamesthomason

by Riotonsunset » Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:43 pm

I used to have a guitar from Sears.The black one on the right.

Riotonsunset

by TheSkyisCrying » Sat Dec 20, 2008 10:28 pm

I found this Simpsons-Sears Guitar at a pawn shop this week. Comes with guitar and amp. Asking $125. I did not purchase.

TheSkyisCrying

by Riotonsunset » Sun Dec 21, 2008 2:26 pm

Riotonsunset

by TheSkyisCrying » Sun Dec 21, 2008 10:04 pm

Thanks
Where did you get the sears catalog online?
TheSkyisCrying

by Riotonsunset » Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:13 am

Riotonsunset

Return to Vintage American Electric Guitars

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts