The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

Any info on this Rex(Kay) guitar?

Posts related to vintage guitars made in America or guitars produced by historically American companies

Moderators: cheepaxes, VintAxe, Phizix

by Riotonsunset » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:22 am

I found this at a local store yesterday.I think it is all original except for the tuner buttons. The headstock label says "Rex" but it looks like it was made by Kay.It looks similar to a Kay K141 or a Silvertone 1361. Any idea when this guitar was made? Know anything about the Rex brand? It has the biggest neck I have ever seen on a guitar.

Riotonsunset

by VintAxe » Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:47 pm

Hi Riot, good find. Rex was a brand name used by the Fred Gretsch company on guitars and amps starting in the mid 1950's. I think the guitars were built by Kay. Yours appears to be a "Silver Streak" model from the late 1950's - early 1960's. Since it is American made you can probably figure out the production date by checking the pot codes. Let us know what you find out, I haven't seen a model exactly like this one before. cheers
VintAxe
Site Admin

by sklines » Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:57 am

This is at Vig guitars in St Paul, love these style instruments. Sadly out of my price range.
sklines

Return to Vintage American Electric Guitars

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts