[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The VintAxe Guitar Forum • View topic - A couple of Kay guitars

The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

A couple of Kay guitars

Posts related to vintage guitars made in America or guitars produced by historically American companies

Moderators: cheepaxes, VintAxe, Phizix

by jeremyarp » Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:54 pm

I have two Kay guitars.

1. Kay archtop with a SN# L 2300 and stamped N-3 visible through the f-holes. The guitar has a solid spruce top, laminate sides and back, sunburst, headstock with metal cursive "K" logo. The body and neck have white celluloid binding, and white truss rod cover and a pickguard with a screen printed "K" (surrounded by an art deco upside-down triangle). Rosewood fretboard has 5 pearloid dots. Supposedly from the 1950s. PHOTO:
http://picasaweb.google.com/lyburnum.ar ... 4348517538

2. Kay archtop electric with SN#: begins with L XXXX (can't remember the numbers) and a stamped 839 visible through the f-holes. The guitar has a maple top (originally with a sunburst finish), bound body and rosewood fretboard, single cutaway. Binding around body is black/white/black. The guitar appears to be a Kay Swingmaster and came with a K403 amp in the 1960 or 1961 catalog. The only variation from the 1961 Swingmaster catalog picture is the headstock... has a solitary gold decal "K" logo. The truss rod cover has a “KAY” music stand logo on it. Pearloid block inlays on fretboard, starts at 3rd fret, and 2 Kleenex box pickups.

The guitar was sold to a friend's dad over 20 years ago, and as you can see, the sunburst finish on the top was stripped to a nice maple finish, tuners replaced.

The guitar came with an amp from 1960 or 61 (a K403).
PHOTO:
http://picasaweb.google.com/lyburnum.ar ... 8643484866

I really don't care about their worth but would love to know the year manufactured and model number/name. Can anyone clarify this based on the attached photos and descriptions? Thanks!

Jeremy
jeremyarp

by jedistar » Thu Jul 05, 2007 4:50 am

Its worth having a look at Steve's catalogs here - he has quite a few kay.

The guitar looks a bit similar to this one from late 50s

http://www.vintagearchtop.com/kay_k48.htm

Swingmaster from 1962 =
http://www.vintagesilvertones.com/forsa ... aster.html

http://www.ggjaguar.com/swingmas.htm
jedistar

by Bob K » Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:24 am

I could look at Kay guitars all day... :D

Nice looking axes there, Jeremy.

Bob
Bob K

by VintAxe » Fri Jul 06, 2007 1:20 pm

Hey Jeremy,

Check out this Kay Archtop pictured on one of the other forum threads.

Same as yours?

sb
VintAxe
Site Admin

by jeremyarp » Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:25 am

jeremyarp

by lonesomebill » Sat Apr 18, 2009 4:13 pm

Jeremy: You may remember me from when you bought my amp. I am looking at a Kay Swingmaster body on ebay but I need to add a neck. Would you tell me what the fret scale on yours is? Measure the length from the nut to the 12th fret X 2. Thanks. I am hoping my neck will fit but the seller hasn't a clue. --Bill
Something clever goes here.
lonesomebill

by jeremyarp » Sat Apr 18, 2009 6:40 pm

I do remember you... my first (and best) cl purchase. That HRDv 410 amp I bought from you gets a lot of use, roughly three practices a week between two bands and shows. Thanks again!

I measured the length from the nut to the 12th Fret... it comes out to just under 13". X2 would be just under 26", however, when looking online... I find these ads that places the Swingmaster at 25 7/8": http://www.usedottawa.com/classified-ad/8645397
http://www.vintagesilvertones.com/forsa ... aster.html
I would agree with both as my Swingmaster is also 19 frets. I hope this helps. Please do post pics of the finished product!
jeremyarp

by lonesomebill » Sat Apr 18, 2009 7:04 pm

Looks like it won't work out for me because my neck has a 24.75 scale and I'd have to move the bridge too far up. I didn't realize they were so long. I had a big 17" Kay archtop back in the 70s that I restored, now I remember having to look all over for a fretboard that would fit.

That's a lot of gigging BTW. The places we used to play all closed. We need to pound some pavement for sure.
Something clever goes here.
lonesomebill

by jeremyarp » Sat Apr 18, 2009 7:21 pm

Will either of these work?:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Original-50 ... 1|294%3A50

Its an Airline, made by Kay...

Or this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Kay-Electri ... 1|294%3A50

Either way, I would hate to see you pass up a fun project with an excellent end product. The Kay Swingmaster is fun to play and an excellent/cool looking guitar.
jeremyarp

Return to Vintage American Electric Guitars

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts