[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The VintAxe Guitar Forum • View topic - What Kind of Guitar Is This??

The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

What Kind of Guitar Is This??

Posts related to vintage guitars made in America or guitars produced by historically American companies

Moderators: cheepaxes, VintAxe, Phizix

by Shane » Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:55 pm

Hi. I was wondering if I could ask you guys a question... I'm trying to identify a guitar I've had in my collection for quite a number of years. I have no clue what it is. I bought it for $60 from my local junkman.
Its a hollowbody electric, and its definitely old. Looks like somebody routed out the area where the brand name would be on the headstock, and put in a little pickholder with a door on the front over it (!!??). I've taken the pickup out of it to look at the electronics, and on the back of the pickup is a massive, heavy transformer. I've never seen anything like it before. The neck is so big and thick, it feels more like a baseball bat than a guitar neck. The volume knob is not original, as it says, "AM-SW Band Selector" on it. Looks like somebody hit up grandpa's radio for a knob! There is a serial number on the back of the headstock, which is A6899. Any ideas on this thing?

Shane

by frankpaush » Wed Aug 29, 2007 2:15 am

... for a search some detailed pics would be helpful...

headstock front (included nut to top) and back, tuners
pickup unit front and back
plug
switch
stringholder
bridge
binding

those would be the hints I would start looking for
the two picks are just capable showing it to someone who already knows the modell or brand. For deeper search you need the details to cut the ranges.
frankpaush

by simonm » Mon Sep 03, 2007 4:49 pm

The tailpiece is of the type used by National, the headstock looks close to the National 'paddle' and the serial number would be 1938 if it was a National - so maybe it is one.
simonm

by VintAxe » Mon Sep 03, 2007 6:29 pm

You win the prize simonm :lol: . I knew I had seen that pickup before but I just couldn't place it.

Shane, here's a picture of a cousin of your archtop guitar on the Notecannons National website. Look under the Archtop Guitar category for more information about your guitar.

VintAxe
Site Admin

by Shane » Sun Sep 16, 2007 1:08 am

Many thanks you guys! I've just been looking for a place where I might be able to get a start researching this thing, which is very very hard when the brand name is not present!
Shane

Return to Vintage American Electric Guitars

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts