[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The VintAxe Guitar Forum • View topic - Rickenbacker advice?

The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

Rickenbacker advice?

Posts related to vintage guitars made in America or guitars produced by historically American companies

Moderators: cheepaxes, VintAxe, Phizix

by Say No To Vorderman » Sun Sep 02, 2007 8:22 am

Say No To Vorderman

by frankpaush » Sun Sep 02, 2007 3:40 pm

frankpaush

by Say No To Vorderman » Sun Sep 02, 2007 4:37 pm

Say No To Vorderman

by frankpaush » Sun Sep 02, 2007 5:00 pm

frankpaush

by Say No To Vorderman » Mon Sep 03, 2007 9:18 am

here's the one that's tempting me..local bass shop took it in as a part ex and are asking £795 inc original hard case..it's about 2 years old and had the one owner who only used it on the house

Say No To Vorderman

by VintAxe » Mon Sep 03, 2007 11:09 am

Wow, I really like the looks of the Blue Rick. I've got a 1977 4001 in Burgandy Glo. When I was shopping it was a toss up between Blue and Burgandy and Burgandy just happened to come along first.

Here's my opinion on the 4001:

Pros:
I bought this bass as a recording tool and have used it quite a bit. It has a signature tone which I liken to piano-type bass. I have mine set up with roundwounds to embellish this effect.

Cons:
Since I use the bass for recording, I normally sit down with it. I also normally pick with my fingers. When using this technique, the sharp edge on the front upper bout bangs the inside of my forearm to the point of bruising if I don't pay attention.
Mine has pretty low output from the pickups. Recently, I've just been going straight out the bass into a good preamp to record. If you want to record direct, a good preamp is a must. If you are micing a cabinet, this is a non-issue.
Not a big deal, but the tuners turn backwards compared to the Fenders I normally play. I just don't play the Rick enough to get used to the setup. Of course, this doesn't matter when recording, but if you are accustom to Fenders and want to play the Rick live you'll need to adapt.

I notice the pickup cover has been removed from the Rick you are looking at, make sure to get it if you decide to buy. I love that shade of Blue. sb
VintAxe
Site Admin

by frankpaush » Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:14 am

... we always called it the Travolta, when our bass player had one...Image
frankpaush

Return to Vintage American Electric Guitars

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts