The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

National/Valco/Supro/Airline pickups - 1952 patent

Posts related to vintage guitars made in America or guitars produced by historically American companies

Moderators: cheepaxes, VintAxe, Phizix

by simonm » Tue Sep 18, 2007 1:00 pm

Just some extra info...
As a fan of these gtrs I have been curious about the pickups for some time. In the late 50s some of them have the patent number 2683388 on them, but only for a short time (in 1958?), like this:

I thought maybe this was a new patent issued at the time, but have just looked it up, and it was submitted in 1952, granted in 1954:

This is interesting (to me at least) as people seem to assume the cosmetics are meant to look humbucker-like, even to fool people into thinking they were humbuckers, but Seth Lover didn't submit his hummer patent until '55 - in fact the Keller patent is cited as a reference on the humbucker - because of the screw-pole pieces, I'd guess.

Why did they put the patent number on the pickups in 1958? Dunno. Any theories welcome. Maybe the PAF humbuckers were causing a stir? There's a story there somewhere. Lover's patent was granted in '59.

EDIT - checking the full patent document - in fig 3 the magnets are numbered 17, so that the magnetised pole piece screws form the opposite side of a horse shoe magnet-type arrangement with the base, numbered 18 (referred to as the pole piece on the document).
simonm

Return to Vintage American Electric Guitars

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts