[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The VintAxe Guitar Forum • View topic - Tony Hunt Guitars

The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

Tony Hunt Guitars

Posts related to vintage guitars made in America or guitars produced by historically American companies

Moderators: cheepaxes, VintAxe, Phizix

by novi » Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:29 am

Hi, everyone. I am new to this discussion group and look forward to sharing info and learning from you guys.

I just got a Tony Hunt Guitar last month. I know it was made in early 80's. I like this guitar a lot but just can't find much info about this guitar maker. I think Tony had a brand names called; "Classic" and "Pro Classic" in those days. He was from Arkansas originally and his company might be called Guitar Clinic? Tony made two guitars for the lead guitarist of The Ventures; Nokie Edwards. This is one of them.

About a month ago, someone from Australia was selling a blue Tony Hunt 12 string guitar on eBay with starting bid of $5000! The listing was on for only for a few days and then disappeared.

Here is the photo:

I appreciate if anyone who know about Hunt guitars can help me to
solve this mystery.

Best wishes to everyone,
Novi
Last edited by novi on Sun Dec 13, 2009 5:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
novi

by VintAxe » Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:08 pm

Hey Novi,

That is a beautiful guitar, no wonder you are infatuated.

Do you think it is built by the same Tony Hunt that builds reproduction Baroque keyboard instruments?

I've got nothing on him so far but I'm still looking. sb
VintAxe
Site Admin

by novi » Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:26 pm

Thanks, VintAxe for your reply. I think Tony only built guitars. Here is his catalog sheet. (provided by Bob Shade of Hallmarks Guitars, Thanks, Bob) Hope that will bring back someone's memory.

Last edited by novi on Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
novi

by novi » Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:38 pm

The one Nokie was playing in this concert is the other Tony Hunt Guitar I mentioned earlier. Nokie ordered two guitars from Tony back in 1980.

Both Hunt guitars have similar walnut color body, but each with different type of neck & headstock, the one Nokie used here has Bigsby palm pedals on 2nd and 3rd strings, mine doesn't. Both have Scruggs banjo tuning peg on the low E-string. (Nokie loves to raise and low low E-string to get that special effect. Listen to his "Bumble Bee Twist", "Secret Agent Man" etc..)

The guitar case is Nokie's personal flight case. It is super sturdy and heavy with some Northwest airline stickers on it. Obviously, he used it often when touring in Japan. Nokie cut the foam inside the case to fit Hunt guitar.

This guitar is not for sales. I am just sharing the info with everyone. Tony Hunt has gone through some hardship in the last 10 or 15 years, no one seems to know his whereabout. I am trying to find out where is he and how he is doing now.

novi

by novi » Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:59 pm

In September 1981 issue, Guitar Player Magazine Interviewed 3 members of The Ventures (Don. Bob and Nokie), Nokie talked a little bit about Hunt guitar. Nokie was photographed with his Hunt guitar.

G.P: " Who built the custom Nokie Edwards model guitar you're using now?"

Nokie: "A guy from Little Rock, Arkansas, named Tony Hunt. He's a real Ventures fan, and he wanted to make me a guitar. He wanted to build it just exactly the way I wanted it. I like the old Fender neck, like on my Telecaster, so I gave him eh measurements and he duplicated them exactly. T told him I wanted this Scruggs tuning peg on the low E. and Bisgsby Palm Padals--that stretch the string a whole step, half step, however you want to set them--on the second and third strings. On my Telcaster I've got four Palm Pedals."

Many thanks to Art Greenhaw for mentioning this information to me. Art is singer, songwriter, instrumentalist, producer, and art director for a variety of record releases in the gospel, country, and country-rock fields, and he continues to lead the world's longest-running country band, The Light Crust Doughboys. Art Greenhaw and The Light Crust Doughboys are the 2003 Grammy Award Winner.

novi

by novi » Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:17 pm

A good friend in Japan just found and sent me a 1994 Japanese CD which showed Nokie and the Tony Hunt Guitar on the cover. Note the banjo tuner at the low E-String. This is the exact guitar I have now. The songs on this CD are Ventures tunes and some Japanese songs.

I am still searching for info about Tony Hunt and Hunt guitars. Even Nokie has lost track of Tony long time ago. Any info will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by novi on Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
novi

by bobby taylor » Sat Aug 16, 2008 3:02 pm

bobby taylor

by jedistar » Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:18 pm

jedistar

by novi » Sat May 09, 2009 12:33 am

Last edited by novi on Sat May 16, 2009 7:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
novi

by novi » Fri May 15, 2009 4:30 pm

I have acquired another Tony Hunt guitar recently. From my close examination, research on line and comments from my guitar luthier, my guess is that this was a project guitar put together by Tony with the available parts in '80's.

The guitar body seems to be an old Gibson melody maker ('60's) shape, don't know it was an old body or remake by Tony, the neck seems to be made by Tony. (Don't know why he put a Gibson logo on the headstock. I was told Tony was Gibson luthier at one time.) A lot imported parts from the '80s (tuners, input jack, volume/tone knobs) were used on this guitar which make me believe it was assembled in the late '80's.

There are a lot similarity between this guitar and Nokie's Hunt; back pad, phrase switch, Mosrite bridge etc. The tone is different than Nokie's Hunt because of the mini pickups being used vs. full humbucker pickups.

If anyone has information or knowledge about this guitar, please let me know. Thanks.

Last edited by novi on Sun Dec 13, 2009 5:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
novi

by novi » Mon May 25, 2009 7:08 pm

See repost.
Last edited by novi on Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:34 pm, edited 4 times in total.
I am a Novi because I find new things to learn everyday...
novi

by Smusic4life » Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:35 pm

Smusic4life

by Smusic4life » Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:47 pm

Smusic4life

by VintAxe » Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:38 pm

Hi Ron.

Sorry to hear of Bob's passing but glad to know he had 75 years to enjoy this life. At what point in his life was he a brick mason? Seems like after 1962 or so he would have been able to make whatever money he needed through his Ventures connection. From your post it appears that he and Nokie were still on good terms in the 80's. You would think that would be enough of the band to go to Japan and earn a years income.

Did Bob and Nokie pick up their Tony Hunt Guitars on the same day? That must have been a good day for you.

Glad to hear Tony is well in Perry County. His work has earned a revered place in guitar history.
VintAxe
Site Admin

by Spud1950 » Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:57 am

Spud1950

Next

Return to Vintage American Electric Guitars

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts