[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The VintAxe Guitar Forum • View topic - help! i just bout a 64-5 sg but i'm not sure what it is...

The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

help! i just bout a 64-5 sg but i'm not sure what it is...

Posts related to vintage guitars made in America or guitars produced by historically American companies

Moderators: cheepaxes, VintAxe, Phizix

by sach_160 » Mon Oct 15, 2007 6:55 pm

hi guys, i just bought this -

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... escription

i know it's lost a lot of it's vintage value due to faded finish/neck reset/missing vibrato/vibrato piece, but it looks like a sweet guitar to play. one thing's bugging me... i don't know what this guitar is!

the listing says custom, - my guide says customs in 64-5 were only white, and the lister doesn't think there's been a refin... so that means it's a special or standard right?

any thoughts much appreciated... i know i should have checked before bidding, but i caught it late - i'm left handed, these things are rare, i took a chance...

sache
sach_160

by jedistar » Tue Oct 16, 2007 7:28 am

The main issue with the white SG Custom is probably the three pick ups.

Also customs have the ornate headstock inlay - this appears to be a Standard with an added truss rod cover.

There are a lot of 64 and 64 SGs at www.gbase.com - (including a 64 unplayed - ie brand new!!!!) - all cherry - perhaps yours is faded...

and a 65 trem assembly
http://www.gbase.com/Stores/Gear/GearDe ... tem=862823

bridge
http://www.gbase.com/Stores/Gear/GearDe ... em=1648896

Key resource is:
http://www.everythingsg.com

When it arrive check the pot codes to age - and compare to serial number date....

I think you got a bargain hope it plays well :)

by sach_160 » Tue Oct 16, 2007 7:44 am

"I think you got a bargain hope it plays well Smile "

That's awesome!!!

No-one else need say anything else - whether I got a good deal or not is irrelevant. The only thing that matters is that I think I got a good deal - which is what I do now :)

Thanks Jedi

And that seems to explain it too - a standard with an added truss rod cover... I just need to find a 64/5 vibrato and vibrato cover. Thanks for the links too.

PS I've already checked the pot codes and serial numbers with gibson info - all lines up ok.

You forum dudes rule.
sach_160

by sach_160 » Thu Apr 03, 2008 2:40 am

sach_160

by theehman » Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:31 am

Ron Neely II
The EH Man, All-Knowing Guru of Electro-Harmonix
Electro-Harmonix info: http://electroharmonix.vintageusaguitars.com
Home of RonSound effects: http://www.ronsound.com
fx schematics and repairs
theehman

by cheepaxes » Mon Apr 07, 2008 2:15 pm

"I would just replace them with some new correct value units and keep the old ones in the case."

Me too, but I would only do that after I tried fixing them. A lot of times pots get scratchy from sitting around unused. Working them back and forth for a while sometimes cleans them. If not, then squirting Caig De-Oxit into the pots and working them for a while usually works. I wouldn't replace the pots unless I was absolutely certain they couldn't be fixed.

-Scott
cheepaxes

by johnnyb » Wed Apr 30, 2008 7:56 am

johnnyb

Return to Vintage American Electric Guitars

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts