[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The VintAxe Guitar Forum • View topic - Can anyone help me figure out what brand this is..

The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

Can anyone help me figure out what brand this is..

Posts related to vintage guitars made in America or guitars produced by historically American companies

Moderators: cheepaxes, VintAxe, Phizix

by Simen » Sun Nov 18, 2007 10:17 am

What brand is this lap steel? I recently bought this lap steel but cant figure out what brand it is?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... Y.m238.lVI

[/img]
Simen

by VintAxe » Sun Nov 18, 2007 10:33 am

Hi Simen,

I really can't see much in those dark auction pictures. Why don't you take some pictures in good light once you receive the guitar so it will be possible to make out some of the details.

Sorry, but I can't help based on these pictures. sb
VintAxe
Site Admin

by François » Sun Nov 25, 2007 6:04 am

As a Harmony fan I may be able to say more... The brand is Supertone, as can be seen on the partial decal on the headtstock. It was more than likely built by Harmony.
These alloy "trapezoidals" tuners are typical of the Harmony products of the period. Theye were sold as "Tune-Rite" models.

This model was sold in Sears & Roebuck catalog in 1938 as model # 2299, and was sold bundled with its amplifier. It was not proposed without amplifier this year. If we follow the Sears numbering system, this means the lapsteel itseld could be call a model #299, the added "2" means kit "with carrying case" or "with amplifier".
I suoppose it was only produced for one or two years (different models in 1937 and in 1941..). I believe Sears did not proposed electric lapsteels before 1937, so it can be called a very early model. Not so rare though, I see a couple of these models each year on ebay.
François

by mrblanche » Mon Nov 26, 2007 5:21 am

For what it's worth, it looks like it says "D'Adario" on the headstock.
mrblanche

by François » Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:00 am

>>>it looks like it says "D'Adario" on the headstock.

True, one could guess d'Addario... but I am 100% sure it's a "Supertone" decal, only the middle of the word is still there. I know because I have several Supertone instruments here to compare. This logo shows "SUPERTONE" on a musical sheet, with the first and last letters larger than those in the middle of the word. On the auction picture, we read only ..PERTON..
François

by Simen » Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:32 am

I got it today and I am shure it is a Supertone! It is exactly the same as found in the 1938 Brucks catalogue!

Thank you

Regards

Simen
Simen

Return to Vintage American Electric Guitars

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts