[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The VintAxe Guitar Forum • View topic - first resoglass Supro?

The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

first resoglass Supro?

Posts related to vintage guitars made in America or guitars produced by historically American companies

Moderators: cheepaxes, VintAxe, Phizix

by simonm » Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:39 am

(Attn Valco-junkie Michael Ambrose!)

Can you tell me what year the first resoglass gtr appeared - it has the pointier Supro headsock and no body contouring, and the raised/moulded pickguard like the one on the Super Single and Super Twin?

And while your at it - have you ever seen one of these?
solid body - the routing for the control panel is original. but the pots (and plate?) aren't, although they are old. Also the tailpiece isn't original - when I got it, it was modified with a Les Paul style tailpiece, it also has mounting holes for a Bigsby. Obviously tuners and knobs aren't orig either. The switch may be a replacement too, some wiring not original, pups are wired Tele style.

The 'deco' pickguard looks similar to those used om late 50s National hollowbodies, but doesn't match any model I can find, and I don't remember any glitter on any of 'em. The body shape is like the Valco Goya, with a carve like the Dual Tone (but deeper) and a 'seal' around the edge like a resoglass, covered in black 'no-mar'. The neck has no evidence of a logo or serial number.

I've come to the conclusion it might have been put together from parts: I know they put some odd frankenstein gtrs together from warehoused inventory parts in 1968. but the fact that most features are 50s seems to contradict that. My only other theory is that it's a National or another more obscure Valco brand like English Electronics or somesuch, with a Supro neck added.

Anyway - it's a great guitar, I love it. I'd welcome your expert opinion.
simonm

by VintAxe » Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:13 pm

VintAxe
Site Admin

by simonm » Fri Dec 14, 2007 6:00 am

I've looked at all your catalogues, which are excellent!

The '58 refers to the new line, inc the Dual Tone, that this resembles. The black and gold colour scheme were new at this time too, but I can't find this body shape anywhere. The pickguard shape seems slightly earlier though, and the overall body outline is close to the '58 version the Coronado, but with a different carve and less fancy finish.
Sorry for banging on about it - I just thought Mr Ambrose might be able to give a final comment.

[I found the answer to my resoglass question - I think the first one was the Kingston, in 1962, but was confused for a while as it one example I was looking at had pots from 1954 and '56]
simonm

Return to Vintage American Electric Guitars

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts