[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The VintAxe Guitar Forum • View topic - CALLING ALL VALCO, SUPRO, AND NATIONAL NERDS!!! HELP ID!

The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

CALLING ALL VALCO, SUPRO, AND NATIONAL NERDS!!! HELP ID!

Posts related to vintage guitars made in America or guitars produced by historically American companies

Moderators: cheepaxes, VintAxe, Phizix

by VintageGuitars_89 » Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:32 pm

Look at this neck. It came off a frankenstine guitar. It is Reso-Glass. Has non-original 60s Grovers. It shows no markings, but is repainted red (originally black). Has very beautiful and distinctive MOP/Aggate inlays. Also has the famous Valco gumby headstock. Weighs a ton!!! Please help Id the make/model it belongs to so I can auction this thing off!

"Praise him with cymbals and a big bass drum, praise him with fiddles and mandolin. Let every living, breathing creature praise God!" -Psalm 150
VintageGuitars_89

by Michael Ambrose » Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:11 am

Yikes... what happened to that heel???

Okay, the whole "set neck" thing TOTALLY threw me off. What happened to that axe, someone took the neck and just glued it on the body?

Looking at the configuration of the underside of the heel, I can safely say that its the same neck I've got on my 1964 Glenwood.... but I've seen the same inlays on several different models. So, bottom line, there's no way in holy hell you'll be able to pinpoint the EXACT model it was taken from. They ALL, from the top to the bottom, had the same "button" bolts-in-a-row configuration.

That was the thing about Nat/Valco... interchangeable parts. Everything is cut the same, configured the same... neck bolts, pocket size, et al.

(By the way, the inlays are Pearloid and Abelone, not agate.)

So whats the deal there? I'm so jazzed by your guitar!! Did someone just fill in the bolt holes before "setting" the neck? Or are they still present? Where'd you find this beast? Whats the story on the body?

Make with the details already!!!
Michael Ambrose

by VintageGuitars_89 » Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:06 am

"Praise him with cymbals and a big bass drum, praise him with fiddles and mandolin. Let every living, breathing creature praise God!" -Psalm 150
VintageGuitars_89

by VintageGuitars_89 » Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:05 am

Ok, here's the body. i don't recognize the shape from a Kay, but it looks similar to some. Check out the wbwb binding! That's gotta narrow it down to a few companies, but which one??? Don't mind the wood filer, I'm in the process of undoing the original owner's idiot mistakes! Check it out! Any clue??

VintageGuitars_89

by simonm » Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:55 am

hey - I see you've got the neck on the eeb now - I'm watching with interest as I have a v similar neck (same heel, 2 screw holes, but with the plainer early Supro headstock), and not sure if I should sell or wait for a body that might never materialise.
simonm

by VintageGuitars_89 » Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:43 am

Yup, sure do! i was offered $50 to close the auction, but it's gotta be worth more than that! There's really nothing to compare it to, but I was guessing $150 for it. Any clue on the body? It's really got me mystified!
VintageGuitars_89

by simonm » Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:01 pm

If it wasn't for the binding I'd maybe suggest Alamo - seems to ring a bell, but fancy binding wasn't their style. Looks a bit Framus-like to me also, but I guess it's more likely to be American..

edit: Alamo - check this one out, not the same but some family resemblance? maybe it's just the red, but it's semi hollow too
http://www.myrareguitars.com/ealamofiesta.html

I think Alamo used a Harmony-style 3 screw joint - any sign of that? They also had narrow necks - looks like the neck pocket on your baody has been widened?
simonm

by VintageGuitars_89 » Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:26 pm

The Alamo seems semi-similar. I almost guarentee that once I get the non-original finish off someone will know what it is. That bright red finish throws people off easily. I've had some people say it's a Magnatone product because it's a color similar to others. It's a very good refin, and it threw me off at first, but imagine it in a natural finish. Framus would make sense. Somebody's gotta have a picture of the guitar, though!
VintageGuitars_89

by VintageGuitars_89 » Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:30 pm

I may have found it! Check out page 9 of the 67/68 Kay catalogue. Did they make a guitar version of that bass??? The K5922.
VintageGuitars_89

by theehman » Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:44 am

Ron Neely II
The EH Man, All-Knowing Guru of Electro-Harmonix
Electro-Harmonix info: http://electroharmonix.vintageusaguitars.com
Home of RonSound effects: http://www.ronsound.com
fx schematics and repairs
theehman

by VintageGuitars_89 » Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:53 pm

I'm pretty sure I'm right about the Kay also. Nothing else is even all that similar. The electronics probabl aren't original to the body, though. This Kay would have been post-kleenex pickups. Also, the body was originally a one pickup, given that there's no hole for a selector (even though there's a hole everywhere else. lol.) Either way, I'm building the ultimate surf guitar out of it. Keeping the pickups, making a custom-shaped white pearl pickguard, painting the body seafoam green, bigsby vibrato, and matching neck with white pearl headstock overlay. It's gonna be one groovy axe. i'll post pics as the project goes.
VintageGuitars_89

by VintageGuitars_89 » Sat Jan 12, 2008 4:38 am

Well, who really cares what it USED to be. Here's a rough blueprint of what it's GOING to be...

VintageGuitars_89

by Riotonsunset » Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:40 pm

How did your project turn out? I used to have Valco/Kay sorta like that It was made for Western Auto under the Truetone name.

Riotonsunset

Return to Vintage American Electric Guitars

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts