[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The VintAxe Guitar Forum • View topic - Shadow Guitars

The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

Shadow Guitars

Posts related to vintage guitars produced in Europe, Canada or Australia

Moderators: cheepaxes, VintAxe, Phizix

by Nick_Payne » Wed May 07, 2008 7:51 am

Hi Gang! Newbie here. I am trying to find out some more info on Shadow Guitars. I know they made guitars in Germany in the 80's and closed up shop in the '90s. They now sell just pickups! Any help or info would be appreciated!
Cheers!
Nick_Payne

by Spud1950 » Wed May 07, 2008 5:55 pm

Check out this site. This guy has quite a few of them and can be contacted. Email is at the bottom of the page.

Spud1950

by VintAxe » Thu May 08, 2008 4:13 pm

Hey Nick,

Jedistar has several Shadow links on his guitar identification website.

Check them out here:

VintAxe
Site Admin

by knt6979 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:23 pm

hey anyone know of someone that has one of these guitars for sale...or on craiglist for sale...would like to get my hands on one....
knt6979
knt6979

by nev308 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:10 am

I have a twin hum Shadow, beautiful guitar to play, will load some pics later
nev308

by knt6979 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:29 am

hey did you say you were selling that shadow guitar???let me know knt@easy.com .....k
knt6979
knt6979

by nev308 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:17 am

Sorry, not for sale, it's my favourite guitar, beats my '88 Strat hands down!
nev308

by knt6979 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:20 am

hey thats kool.... good for you...thanks...k
knt6979
knt6979

by bunjiboy » Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:23 pm

Hi I don't know if you are interested still but I'm selling a red shadow guitar on ebay at the moment. If you go to ebay and enter red shadow guitar in the search you should find it. It must be pretty old as I bought it in about 1988 and so seems to fit with what little info I can find about Shadow guitars on the internet. It did the rounds with me but it stayed in tune for 5 years in its box! I've not really played it since my first was born and I have other guitars. Any way have a look if you like and I'll answer any questions that you might have. thanks
:)
bunjiboy

by VintAxe » Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:44 pm

Hey fellas. Just thought I would let you know I ran across a 1991 Shadow catalog and I have uploaded it to the catalog library. Check it out if you are a subscriber.

VintAxe
Site Admin

by RickJ » Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:09 am

I have couple of S100 Shadow guitars .. both black, both new, mothballed. Despite the popular believe .. and the Shadow Guitar Co's insinuation, that these guitars were made in West Germany and later on in Germany [after unification] .. they were not! In general the electric guitars made prior to spring 1990 [e.g. S/No.s 1000 to 4000 were made by Eko Racanati on the East coast of Italy. Anything made after spring 1990 was made by the Czech company located in North Bohemia [their sister company made Kramer guitars, I believe].

Looking at my two guitars .. the 1989 S100 was made by Eko and was equipped with 3 humbuckers [the neck and middle humbacker disguised as single coils] the pots were rated at 250k which didn't work too well with 3 humbuckers [the entire setup was mismatched] ... I've changed the comlete installation for DiMarzios [humbuckers and pots]. The other guitar was made by Jolana and it had the same Shadow HHumbucker at the bridge, but it came with 2 single coils at mid and the neck positions. Slightly better setup, but to tell the truth ... the second S100 would sound 2 notches better if I spent a bit of money on Seymour Duncan or DiMarzio pickups and invested in push / pull pots to split the coils and reverse the phases. Shadow are known in Europe for their acoustic guitar pickups, not much for the electric guitar pickups ... Otherwise .. both guitars came with Schaller tuners, Schaller Floyd tremolo [made of the same zinc alloy, that Matchbox use for the toy cars] etc. Frankly ... after I got these guitars, a thought came to my mind, that I would have been better off by buying the Mexican made Fenders and changing the basic tuners for Schaller or Gotoh locking tuners that would have saved me lot of time and money. Since then, I have build my own guitars based on Japanese strat bodies and necks .. stuck in Malmsteen DiMarzio pickups ... and have more or less forgotten about Shadows.
RickJ

by charvelopus » Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:42 am

Are you crazy? no MIM strat is better then a handmade German shadow, shadows are made for rock and metal not country bumpkin music. 8)
charvelopus

by RickJ » Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:03 pm

I am probably crazy, because I bought 2 more Shadow S100 guitars 2 weeks ago. They were brand new, with flight cases, probably the last ones available anywhere.

With regards to Mexican Strats ... a mate of mine bought Mexican Strat HSS with licensed Floyd Rose and it was not so bad. Mind you, it cost over 600 GBP [950 USD] in UK ... hence quite a lot of bread for Mexican Strat.
RickJ

by Rhayday » Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:47 pm

I have a white Shadow Super Strat which I'm trying to sell if there's anyone out there interested. UK based.
Rhayday

Return to Vintage European Electric Guitars

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts