[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The VintAxe Guitar Forum • View topic - help ID'ing a Hofner bass

The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

help ID'ing a Hofner bass

Posts related to vintage guitars produced in Europe, Canada or Australia

Moderators: cheepaxes, VintAxe, Phizix

by daan » Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:36 pm

daan

by Spud1950 » Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:10 am

I think this is it, the 500/4 model.

I don't know why it says "solid bass guitar" when obviously it's a hollow body. Yours seems to have had an extra knob added. Here's the site I found it on. You can search through the bass section, but there are no other models that look like the 500/4 having 4 knobs. Also, the 500/4 is the only dual cutaway hollow body bass with the same horn size as yours.The other dual cutaway models have much shorter horns.

Here's the official Hofner site bass page.Same thing here. The 500/4 is the only dual cutaway hollow body shown having the same size horns as yours.

Spud1950

by jedistar » Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:03 am

Spud has nailed it. There is a 4 knob version of the 500/4:

http://www.carvinmuseum.com/decade/74-basses.html

by daan » Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:52 am

You guys rule. Many hours of fruitless searching for me, 2 seconds for you guys. Thank you so much!
And I NEVER would have guessed about the Hofner-Carvin connection in a million years.
daan

by RuppMusic » Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:19 pm

That is one sweet bass.

How does it sound?
RuppMusic.com - House of Fine and Vintage Guitars
RuppMusic

by daan » Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:07 am

Well with the Bartolinis that it came with, plugging it in made an air-raid siren shriek that blew my amp up :shock: before I could unplug it, now with the Gretsch p/u's in it it sounds really nice. (I scrapped out a Gretsch Electromatic http://www.flickr.com/photos/dnork01/26 ... 104024063/ for the electronics/tuners, the p/u's actually sound better in this than they did in the Gretsch.) It makes this awesome growly buzz thru my pedal, way more than the Gretsch did.
daan

by daan » Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:47 pm

I can't take a good picture of this bass to save my life, but I've been playing this thing a lot lately and wanted to share a couple more shots of it. Image
THe back has real pretty, flame maple veneer (the whole thing is plywood) the top is spruce so it's not quite as nice.
My daughter likes it, too.

Oh yeah, what it looked like when I got it almost 20 years ago now: Image
daan

Return to Vintage European Electric Guitars

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts